Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinning woodland

Re: Thinning woodland

Pat,

Does the pasture fall under the road hazard warranty for tires? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Chillimau, I don't know, I never enven considered it. Do you suppose that I should contact the tire folk and tell then that under advice of counsel I am making a claim against the road hazard warranty?

The local tire shop put a patch in it for $7 and it holds air but looks pretty iffy with a visible lump and "scar" on the sidewall.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, I agree, I wouldn't feel right claiming the warranty when it was a self inflicted wound (hired help created the hazard). My poor attempt at humor.

Gary

Thanks for the info...some good stuff and certainly things I would not have thought of myself...now, to find the time! [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

If you have some 20 year growth, you may want to contact a commercial logging company with a chipping operation. They will pay you to chip what you want chipped and leave the land ready to be brush-hogged. They will chip tops, squirrels's nest and everything. Most cut the tree right at ground level.
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

Check out Garlon 4. It's not cheap. But it does go along ways when mixed. Stump cut. Then treat. Check with your local forrester to see if they have any cost share money available [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Most of the "hardwoods" WILL produce suckers from any remaining stumps. Most "softwoods will NOT produce suckers.

Bob
    I was taught to respect my elders but it's getting harder to find any!

As a forester for many years, I will give you my .02 cents worth. A general rule of thumb in thinning is if the upper branches are touching, then it's time to thin something. Another general rule is to always thin out the worst trees (genetically) and leave the best. The only time this isn't the case is if your goal is to provide better wildlife trees, then you would do exactly the opposite. In other words, the worse the health of the forest, the better it is for wildlife. I always try and leave a dead tree or two for wildlife, but the dead trees are also a safety hazard. Don't thin too heavy all at once. Those trees have grown up next to eachother and wind, snow, ice, etc., will blow down a harshly thinned stand. Better to take a few out each year of the larger trees instead of a whole bunch at one time.

Cutting brush down as low as possible and then use a splash of diesel fuel or used oil on the fresh cut will sometimes keep it from sprouting. Also a prescribed burn in the early spring will do a good job as well.

Another thing to consider is diversity. If you have alot of hardwoods, plant some conifers and visa-versa. That way if you get some critter eating up all of your hardwoods, you'll at least have some different species that won't be affected.

If you have a county extension office, chances are they have a forester that will give you free advice. Hope this helps.
    2008 F-250 V-10 Loaded
    2007 Lincoln LT grocery getter
    2007 Kubota RTV 900
    1996 Ford Bronco