Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chickens, ducks, questions

chickens, ducks, questions

I have kicked the idea around a few times and find myself thinking about getting some kind of poultry. Maybe because I just saw some chicks and ducklings at TSC.
    I am looking at having them mostly for the eggs, but am not ruling eating one once in a while.
    Can someone guide me as to how the eggs compare.
    Is one bird "messier" than the other. I was thinking of maybe 1/2 dozen birds and keeping them in a coop or confined area, but if I decide to free range and duck poop is anything like goose poop...
    Does one tend to stick around more than the other. My neighbor across the street has ducks and they are wandering further and further from their little duck house in the back yard. They are about 10 months old I think if that makes a difference.

Here's the big one. Do they promote fleas or lice or something that would not be advisable for a kennel owner to have poultry anywhere near their business. I know they eat bugs, but I also know birds can be succeptible to lice. Is their lice only "bird lice" and I don't need to worry about it affecting me, my dogs or any other dogs on my property? Is it easily noticeable and then easily treatable?

Thanks for any input. I've done a lot of reading on both already, but haven't found anything on the order of what I need to know.

Re: chickens, ducks, questions

Have you checked McMurray hatcheries web site? It has some good information on various breeds.

I have visited a few websites, but none listed the "subtle nuances" of ducks v chickens or if they have a magnetic effect on parasites I would rather not introduce to my yard.
    Thanks, though.

I recently got 9 chickens that are in my garage in a rubbermaid tub. I clean the shavings out weekley. A cousin came to visit over the weekend & i showed them to him. he was amazed how clean the cage was. It was almost a week on those shavings. His mom brought him 3 ducks for his kids for easter. He said within a few hours of cleaning, you can smell them from many feet away. he kept saying, " they crap just like geese". I started w/ chickens last year & i'm really glad i didn't go with ducks.

Thanks for the info! I was kind of leaning towards chickens anyway, you made up my mind.

Hey ducks are great! Sure, they are messier than chickens for the first 5 weeks, but after that you can turn them loose.
    They forage for themselves and aren't nearly as susceptible to disease.

We got both from TSC and have loved every minute of it.
    Oh, the feed store sells a 50 pound sack of chick starter for what TSC charges for two five pound bags.

http://www.poultryconnection.com/phpBB2/index.php
    These people know everything about ducks and chickens you could want to know.
    I have both and love both. I have seen a decrease in all insects except flies and boxelders. I haven't had a flea problems but I do know they can catch mites. Knock on wood no problems yet w/ that.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Thanks, I joined that forum a couple days ago. Interesting reading. One other site I visited mentioned using Frontline on chickens for parasite control with no effects on the eggs. What are your thoughts on that? A chemical is a chemical right, whether it's being dusted or applied to the skin via liquid...

I haven't heard of that yet.... I'm going to go over to the other forum and see what they think. I know there are other products that they have discussed. I got the feeling that they sorta treat the coop preventively if anything. Because your right, you want this animal to produce you eggs that have a very porous outer shell, which could easily contamiate your eggs.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

boy, your quick, you've been there. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere