Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st try raising chicks: what the avg loss rate?

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: 1st try raising chicks: what the avg loss rate

Egon, your public relations are fine, you're one of the most knowledgable people on this forum. It's just that I don't see why the dog must die if the owners are jerks. If you want to know the truth, I'd much rather shoot the owners!!! See, now my public image will drop!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Boys oh boys Rich Did you say a mouthfull. Seems I managed to misslead a few people.

Growning up on a farm where animals and poultry were cash income items dogs that chased or harmed animals were simply not tollerated.

30 some years ago a friend had a $400.00 + Bovier that was reported chasing some cattle. He personally shot it as soon as he found out.

Egon

WoW, at that price for chickens that are DOA from neighbors killer dog, I'd raise a batch just for Rover, if neighbor could afford it! I think fines should solve U'r problem with killer dog! He'll most likely solve Rovers problem and kids that turn off invisable fences problem too!

HOLLY COW!! Thats a great price for a chicken ... although i guess not so much if it is a hen and over its life time of egg lay ...ehhh

Of course our past dog Sampson .. had never seen a chicken before we moved here and the people across the road had a rooster who would come over and pick at Sampson while he was on a lead.. Sampson caught him one day and had him down licking him and then let him go *rme* .. chicken was scared and covered in drool but A-OKAY.. THANK GOODNESS!! Then again Sampson was just a darn good Dog 130lb and would not bug the bunny we had out running around.. other then trying to give it baths.

Although if i knew there was a dog that was a lifestock killer i would be doubly weary .. My fiances father had 2 chocolate labs .. one is perfectly fine and acts like Sampson used to catched side animals and licks them and lets them go.. the other killed a pet bunny and a goat.. they gave the dog to a guy who lived away from livestock.. less then a month later the guy said the dog went after him and he shot it.

So i would watch that dog incase it would go after larger prey.
    Michelle

Just a country girl at heart wanting that country life back and the farm of her dreams.

Michelle, most rural muncipalities have similar regulations. There are set prices for all kinds of livestock that are killed. If you figure out the amount of eggs you'll get from a good laying hen, $25 isn't much. And the $25 is for laying hens, not meat birds. But the price is set up so the farmer gets something back, and so the idiot dog owner gets some degree of punishment. My idiot neighbor has now run up his fines, and if he doesn't pay me and the town very soon, he's going to spend some time in our town jail. I ran into our local police chief and justice of the peace yesterday at our local diner, where all the farmers usually meet for Saturday morning breakfast. Apparently there are more complaints against this neighbor, and he has a little over a month left before he gets a little vacation in a 10 x 10 cell. He'll stay there until he pays me, the other neighbors, the town and another fine for them having to bother to jail him. I suspect he's waiting to see if our little community is for real, and he's about to get the surprise of his city boy life. We don't have much crime around here, and our few jail cells don't get used much, so our local police force (all 5 of them) are itching to put this annoying character in there for a while. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Rich

RichZ, keep US posted on progress! I can't hardly wait to, dah can U take pic's of city slicker dude! I can't hardly wait! Shame on me! I'm sorry to see anybody go to jail! Oh well!

Roho, I sure will kep everyone posted. Our chief of police told me that this guy's response is typical of our relocated city slickers. They typically won't pay, until a few cops show up at his door to take him away, and suddenly he finds the money. They figure that we're all a bunch of hicks and they can outsmart us. They soon find out the real truth!! I figure I'll be getting my money soon. I'll let everyone know what happens. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Rich

Re: 1st try raising chicks: what the avg loss rate?

Wow. I wish I could get my SS class going on a discussion like y'all do. Maybe I should change the lesson topics to chickens and dogs. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks for your responses. I'll place the order towards the end of the month and I'll try to keep you posted on my progress.