Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: garlic growing

garlic growing

I had never grown garlic but thought I'd give it try. We followed the instructions that came with the plant stock and thought we did ok. The garlic begain to grow just befor the first freeze and we covered with straw for the winter. Now it's spring and we noticed no growth. Dug up a couple of plants and what we found was guiee mess that used to garlic. I have dug up all the plants and all were the same. Anyone have an idea of what we did wrong? BTW, I'm in South Korea and have a rooftop garden, if that makes any difference. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: garlic growing

Welcome?

There are many varieties of garlic. Perhaps yours was not suitable for the conditions or perhaps some insect got into the bulb in the fall killing it. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

My Thumb is brown so take my comments with a tablespoon of salt. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks, we'll try it again next year.

Ronnie, Given the massive per capita garlic consumption in Korea, surely there are locals there to advise with the varieties that are known to work with the climate.

I don't know much about raising it but I can eat my share (and yours too.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I agree, I was experimenting with elaphants. Given there size and weight, I was looking at a possible marketing thing. I think that maybe they would be better suited for a green house over here during the winter months. The garlic grown here is of the hard neck varity and very small. And you are right, they do consume alot, my nose tells me so.

BTW, I believe that they may have frozen during the winter causing them to turn to mush.

Anybody getting near my share of The Smelly Rose is liable to lose a hand. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Ronnie, Roof top gardens by neccessity have shallow dirt compared to well... the ground and are more subject to freezing. On the warming side, heat loss through the ceiling and roof should help. Maybe if you composted on top of the dirt in late fall and mulched or otherwise insulated over the compost you would generate and retain some heat. Also these extra layers of insulaltion over the dirt would help retain whatever heat that is leaking up through the ceiling/roof.

God luck,

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks Pat I'll try that or maybe a small green house.

Okay...tell me if I'm wrong, but don't you harvest garlic in the same year you plant? like onions? I had a few onions that over wintered in my garden, and when I pulled them up a couple of weeks ago, the bulbs were just a gooey mess also.
    Kenny

Slydog,
    Most garlic is planted in the fall so as to produce larger plants. You can plant in early spring but your yeald will be smaller.

I believe my problem stemed from the fact that I have a roof top garden. As Pat said, I don't have enough dirt for insulation to keep the bulb from freezing. A very good sorce for information is, The Garlic Store, that's where I got the plant stock and they have been very helpful in trying to determine what I did wrong.