Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A good wood chipper?

Re: A good wood chipper?

You know, whenever it was that Dallas, who shot JR type thing was happening. 70's or 80's I would guess.

I THINK the Troybuilt is built by MTD. I have a 9hp Craftsman that I believe was actually built by MTD also. It does a good job and makes nice chips. The later ones I have seen, have plastic feed chutes instead of the metal that is on mine. I really think the plastic chutes would give problems especially on the chipper side. When chipping it will self feed aggressively on the 2-3" pieces. I think this might tear up the plastic feed chute in short order, but the plastic may not be a problem, just my thoughts.

You might look at some of the gardening magazines for reviews on chippers if chip quality is an issue for you. I saw a review of the Craftsman/MTD chipper and it was rated one of the better chippers for the size of chips produced. Made nice mulch for the garden. Price was the reason I ended up with the Craftsman. $450 in '94. It was on the cheap end of things and looked really good after pricing a tractor mounted chipper. I don't know how it would rate today. Cleaning up was my first concern, not having mulch. However, I use all the mulch I make and that is now just as big a part for me as cleaning up trimmings.

Gary

Bearcat

Here is another chipper manufactuer you could take a look at. I know of them because my local Kubota dealer sells them. No clue on prices.

Maybe out of your price range...

But a guy can dream...

Chipper

I can't say as that I reccomend the troybilt for chipping wood. But if your into chipping index fingers my BIL's father can attest to fact that they do a real job. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] He just got back from the hospital Saturday. Please be careful.

Poorboy

I have a 5hp. It is a work horse. But, I wish I had the bigger 8hp... Or, the 3-point pto version($3k at Gold Country Kubota)

If your keen to do some heavy duty chipping, i use a Vermeer BC1400 for work and i would definitely recommend one...www.vermeeraustralia.com.au

I have a trailer mounted DR with 18 HP electric start engine. It does pretty well but it is the one wth low mounted discharge and you have to be careful to move it or spread the chips to avoid back pressure/clogging of output. The high mounted discharge model would be better in my estimation.

PTO has its advantages and disadvantages. It ties up the tractor and I like to use the FEL bucket to catch chips. I can then deliver the chips with the tractor or load into a truck and resume chipping. with a 3PH chipper you save the extra engine but lose a lot of convenience. There are pluses with it too.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Did you find a chipper yet? I have a troy built that I don't use anymore. George

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I too can safely say I've never seen an episode of Dallas. Did I miss something

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing worthwhile!

As for chippers, alas, TroyBilt has gone the way of MTD. An older unit in good shape would be a better choice than a new one. MTD is garbage.