Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressed air supply in workshop.

Hybrid View

Compressed air supply in workshop.

I want to put my air compressor in the back of my shop, but would like to have outlets in the front and maybe a couple of hanging coil type hoses hanging from above.

What would be a safe pipe type to use? My neighbor used copper to do his small shop, is that safe? What about PVC? Also, what size pipe should I use, 1/2, 3/4, etc.?

The total run will be about 40 feet or so, plus whatever hose I plug into it.

Thanks in advance!
    Chuck

Re: Compressed air supply in workshop.

I have seen pvc used, just make sure your don't exceed the psi rating on it. Make sure you brace it well so you don't flex and break the fitting on the end when you tug on the air hose, etc.

Thanks for the quick reply. I hadn't thought about the bracing issue. I think I may go with something a little stronger. Thanks!

Iron pipe is probably best, copper second, and PVC is a no-no according to all the experts because of the possibility of it shattering and blowing pieces everywhere. However, I used PVC and never had a problem. Most larger compressors come with some instructions for plumbing. Don't forget to put a drop leg somewhere to drain condensation from the lines.

Thanks for the quick reply Bird. Not sure about cost on iron, I'll compare to copper and see what works. I don't have a lot of stuff going on in this shop, just looking for convenience more than anything. Trying to get the compressor in the back out of the way and a reel with the hose towards the front where it is easy to get to. Thanks for the tip about drainage also, didn't think of that.

Do you guys know what size pipe I should use? Is bigger better?

Thanks!

Personally, I'd recommend 3/4" although half inch is probably adequate for most purposes. It depends on how much compressor you have and what tools you want to run on it. Sandblasters, sanders, grinders, and 3/4" or larger impact tools need a large volume of air. Many other uses don't need so much.

It's an old compressor, all I know is it is 220V and has a 60 Gal tank. I know that doesn't tell much, but that's all I remember about it. It's about 15 years old. All I need to run is an impact now and then, ratchet, die grinder, and a tire chuck to pump up tires of course [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm not running a body shop or doing any heavy duty work, but I don't want to have to redo it down the road either.

I noticed most of the hoses that come on reels are 3/8", but some are 1/2" I was thinking of getting a 25' hose/reel to hang from the ceiling towards the front of the shop. I think I remember somebody saying you lose pressure the longer you go... But if I use bigger pipe to feed the reel, will that help keep the pressure up?

Thanks again for the help!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    if I use bigger pipe to feed the reel, will that help keep the pressure up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I don't think you need to worry about pressure, it's the volume of air moved that can be a problem. However, I don't think you'll have any problems. The compressor I had in my shop was also a 220 volt, 60 gallon tank, and I used half inch pipe, although it was only about a 25' run to my farthest coupler and less than 10' to the closest ones, and I sometimes hooked three 3/8" 50' hoses together. I had the three 50' hoses in 3/8" size, one 15' hose, and two 10' coiled hoses in 1/4" size. I'd still recommend 3/4" pipe, but for what you intend to do, half inch will work just fine.

I was repairing/rebuilding mechanics' air tools. With a 3/4" impact wrench, I could test it with a quarter inch air hose to see if it was working right, but the tool could not develop its full power because, even though I had enough pressure, you cannot get enough volume through a quarter inch hose (or even a 3/8" hose) for that kind of tool. A 3/8" hose is usually quite adequate for a 1/2" impact or smaller tool.

Check this site out. It has a lot of good info on setting up an air system in a shop. In the past I have always used 1" black pipe with great success. I have an 80 gal that I have sitting outside because of the noise. Since this shop is intended to be "the Shop" that I have planned for years I went a little wild and used alum 7/8" tubing which cost a lot more than the good old black pipe but ever so quick and easy to install. I had considered copper but after talking to some steam fitters who liked copper tubing/pipe but thick wall, I decided to go with the alum. It works great and no rust. Anyway, here is a good site with good info and you don't need to buy a thing ... http://www.tptools.com In the attached (I thought that I had a better picture but I cannot find it) you can see the blue lines on the wall. These are some of the airlines, actually about 1/2 the lines, that feed the shop. You will enjoy the bennies of having air in the shop!
    Leo

Here is the page with their diagram ... http://www.tptools.com/statictext/ai...ng-diagram.pdf
    Leo