Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Compressed air supply in workshop.

Re: Compressed air supply in workshop.

Forgot to ask, how would you guys go from the compressor to the first pipe? I mean, do I need a hose or something flexible there, or can I plumb the copper right into the compressor?

Thanks!

Just found and interesting thread, thought I'd pass it on [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ridgidforum.com/cgi-bin/u...c;f=5;t=002635

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I just have a piece of tractor hydraulic system hose that used to be part of a front-end loader as my compressor-to-wall piping connection. It seems to be real good at not transferring vibration to the piping system. By going to 3/4" as you indicated that you would, that pipeline becomes a storage reservoir and helps to dampen the pressure drop as air is suddenly taken from an outlet. What I do is drop down at various points with a tee and 3/4" copper and at the low point I have a drip leg with a petcock to drain moisture. Some of my 3/4" drops have regulators on them and some don't. I also have an extra 60-gallon tank upstairs in my shop that serves as an additional air reservoir. I can valve it in and out as I choose. I'm using a 3 HP Ingersoll Rand compressor that I got from Tractor Supply Co. It's a vertical with a 60 gallon tank. I have it in my equipment room, in which I also have the furnace, air conditioner, and high pressure water pump. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Chuck, of course Pat's right about the static vs. dynamic pressure. I just don't see it as a problem for the distance and uses you mentioned. And of course, he's right about the location for a pressure regulator if you need a very precise pressure at your tool, but I didn't. So I've always had my own pressure regulator at the compressor. I came from the compressor to the regulator/filter with a very short pipe nipple, then from the regulator to my pipe with a high pressure rubber hose to absorb any vibration, although that probably was not necessary. And, yes, I had two drop legs with petcock type valves in my line to drain moisture. There are, of course, much more expensive filters than I used to catch moisture, and there are cheap single use moisture filters you can use right at the tool that are popular for paint spray guns.

I had a wall in my shop with my workbench on one side of the wall and the compressor on the other side so it was a very short run to the workbench where I kept two short hoses connected. One hose had the air gun I used for blowing off or cleaning things and the other I used to connect to air tools to test them after repairs. My pipe then also ran to an outlet by the overhead door.

In fact, you can see some pictures of my shop here.

Eventually.... after my many other projects, I would like to build on to the back of the barn and move the compressor out there like you mentioned. That would be nice and cut down on noise a lot. I think I'll use your idea of a large diameter hose out of the compressor to the pipe and stay 3/4" to any outlets from there. On the drops, I'll extend the pipe down a few inches past the outlet and put in some kind of valve to drain moisture. I'll probably put the regulator on the one outlet that I need it on, or possible rig it so it is portable enough to move to whatever outlet I want to use. I don't really need the regulator on the outlets I will use for pumping tires, or for the one with an air nozzle for blowing of tools and such. Thanks again for all the ideas!

Bird, your garage looks a lot like mine (pole building) except yours is much cleaner! I have my wife convinced the barn is suposed to be cluttered. Note to self, never show her pictures of yours!

At first I was thinking I only needed the one reel in the front that would reach everywhere, and maybe one other outlet. But now, I think I may add a couple more outlets and sort of dedicate their uses. Like you mentioned, one for the air gun thing, and another in the front, maybe even outside for car tires, then the reel for my impact and other small air tools. I think I'll move the regulator to the one drop that I will use the tools that need it most. Mainly because it already steps down to a small pipe right out of the compressor and I'd rather stay 3/4" as far as possible before constricting air flow. The other outlets won't really need regulated air pressure. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I could rig up a portable regulator that I could move to the point of use for the tools that need it. I'll have to kick that one around a bit more.

Thanks for the help and ideas!!

Use 95-5 solder. Produces a stronger joint and can handle the vibration from the compressor. Even with a "flex hose" some vibration will be transmitted to the copper.

So, here's another question for ya. I was laying everthing out in the barn today, tryinh to figure out where I want everthing to go. I noticed that the outlet from the compressor is 3/8". If I leave the compressor with a really short 3/8 nipple and immediately go to 3/4, will the 3/8 section be a constriction? Or does it not matter as much since it is going to be so short?

Maybe I'm concerned about nothing. I mean, right now it comes out 3/8 and goes down to 1/4 through the regulator and then back to a 3/8 hose, and I have never had an issue with anything I've tried to use it for.

Naturally, you can't move as much volume, maintain dynamic pressure, etc. as well as if it were all 3/4", but unless you have some really high consumption tools; i.e., 3/4" or larger impact, big sandblaster, etc., I doubt that you'll ever notice a problem. The 3/4" pipe will, to a limited extent, serve as that much more tank or storage capacity.

You mentioned my shop being clean. I don't like brooms, so I rarely used one in the shop. I had a blow gun with a really long nozzle, and I routinely "swept" the floor starting at the back and blowing everything out the front door, using 3/8" hoses. Now that would keep the compressor running continuously for quite awhile, but I never ran out of all the air volume and pressure I needed.

And if you're like most of us, your quick couplers are also 1/4" so your regulator isn't the only small hole the air has to go through. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks again Bird, I'm just going to go for it. I'll try to use the biggest pipe I can all the way with the least amout of bends an restrictions, sounds like it should be fine. I like the idea of using the blow gun to sweep the floor. That's how my barn gets dirt, I open the door and all the crap blows in. Seems logical to clean it by reversing the process [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, thanks again for the info. I'll try to take some picks when the job is done in case anybody is interested.

Thanks Again,
    Chuck