Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Compressed air supply in workshop.

Re: Compressed air supply in workshop.

(If you use air to blow off the floor, try to remember to use a disposable paper face mask.)

If you have a plug at the bottom of your tank, you can mount your tank on a wall and use this outlet for your air source. It keeps the compressor up off the floor and the moisture out of your tank. Run all your air lines downhill to good sized drip legs and collect the moisture there. I chainfalled mine up about 6 feet and built hangers out from the wall and down from the joists. I bought my compressor back in the 70's and the tank is still not rotted out. Just a thought, if you are up to it.

Here is a picture of what I have in my barn now, I haven't had time to pipe anything into my workshop area yet. The black box on the end is a circuit that kills the power to the compressor if it runs for more that 10 minutes at a time. There is a bypass switch on the side to allow you to run it longer. I had an airline blow once when I was gone an the compressor ran for many hours. The garage was full of oil mist when I finally got there. Didn't seem to hurt the compressor though.

Wow...

Just got this scenario stuck in my head...

Trying to have a conversation on the phone when the compressor starts up...

Ever see what happens when a 38 cal slug hits a compressor?

The phone is going to be relocated to the area I walled off last fall for a work area. It's pretty low on the priority list right now. I'm still unpacking, wacking trees, and planting grass. Besides, no one ever calls us old retired guys, anyway...sniff....

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Trying to have a conversation on the phone when the compressor starts up

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I've had it happen, and since my hearing is pretty bad anyway, just had to tell whoever I was talking to to hold on a minute while I went turned the switch off on the compressor.

Thanks for the info and the picture, it helps to put it all together in my head. I started running the copper last night but ran out of time and parts. So, it's back to Lowe's today if I have time and maybe I'll finish tonight. I put the drip leg right out of the compressor, it tees off and goes down about 15" of 3/4 copper and a drain valve, and also goes up to the rafters and up to the front of the barn. I have a three threaded fittings for outlets. I'll try to put a slight slope on the long run so it would try to drain back. But I guess it would be possible to get water in the lines, but then again, I guess that will jus blow out, right?

PS - where did you get the shut-off box? I was just planning of flipping the breaker on the way out of the barn when I leave to be safe, but I like your idea better.

Thanks again for the help!

I've never actually shot a compressor, but Ill bet it woul get a lot louder! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] You can get a nice 30 AMP, 250 Volt, Double Pole, Single Throw, on-off switch from a surplus outfit in Nebraska. I just got one for my setup so I can flip the compressor circuit on and off from inside the shop and not have to go around the corner to the equipment room. The switches that they have are ARROW HART, a really good brand, and the price is 8.95 each. Ask for item number 11-2525 their phone number is 1-800-488-3407 or go online www.surpluscenter.com You'll need a good switch like that so you won't fatigue your circuit breaker over time. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The price is REALLY good; especially considering that the switch has a very nice steel dust-tight enclosure. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just a minute I'll check the website and see if they still have them.........(checks online)........DRAT!!!....they are sold out! No big mystery there, it was a terrific buy. What ever you do, DON'T BUY the catalog item 11-2001 which is a fusible disconnect switch. Those particular models are no good, especially for air compressor duty.
    CJDave

I had a job once helping adjust power factor on some 5000volt compressors once in the middle of the night. The motors were about 20 feet in diameter and the dual horizontal pistons were about two foot in diameter. Needless to say, we poped off a big overpressure popoff valve.......noise so bad it hurt. Bad stuff.

Thanks CJDave for the info. I'll give them a call and maybe see about backordering one of the switches. Glad you told me not to buy the other one because I probably would have concidered it.

Finished the plumbing tonight, I have the compressor in the back corner, stainless braided hot water heater hose to connect it to the 3/4 copper. It goes upand all the way to the front of the barn. Along the way, I have an outlet towards the back with one of those coil hoses that I will use for a blow gun. It has my old 1/4" regulator on it so I can turn the pressure way down for the blow gun. Then about in the middle I have another new regulator, 3/8" this time feeding a 50' 3/8" hose self retracting reel. Then all the way at the front I have a third, unregulated, quick connect. I plan to hook one of my old 50' hoses to it and dedicate it just for tires since it is right by the door and handy. Probably a little overkill, but I like it, and it was a fun little project [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Almost forgot, on the compressor right where it comes out of the tank, I put a tee and about 15" of 3/4 pipe going down with a valve at the bottom to catch water. The other side of the tee goes up to a threaded fitting that the hot water hose connects to.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and ideas!

Chuck