Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Or'deurves???

Re: Or\'deurves???

OWWWWW, cummon Roho... Texas has everything but maybe in this instance your Marlin are just a tad smaller and you don't want to talk abouit it!

I have only dressed out (butchered?) one Marlin, a small one weighing in at a tad over 155 lbs. Great fresh, frozen, or smoked.

Here is another finger food...

Rip or cut some chicken meat off the bones of a dead chicken and whack it up into large bite sized pieces with no extra fat, no skin, and no bone or grissle. Lay each morsel on an individual piece of foil and turn up the edges to hold liquid. Sprinkle on generous portions of soy sauce and then wrap up the pieces. Leave air space inside but seal tightly. Grill or bake.

Same story with beef, pork, lamb, etc. You can vary the sauce. It doesn't have to be soy. With soy you get "paper chicken", "paper beef", etc. like at a chinese joint. With BBQ sauce you get BBQ whatever. You can do fish but I don't recommend lemon because of the acid reaction with the aluminum foil.

If is surprising just how many of these can be consumed by so few people in so short a time.

They can be used as the main course as well as great hors'doeuvres (traditional spelling, French) Strange snacking practices those French! They eat mayo on their fries. Anyway hors'doeuvres is French (primitive rural Gascone) for horses ovaries but now applies to virtually all finger foods.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Strange snacking practices those French! They eat mayo on their fries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I like Mayo on my fries. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Well Of Course we have Marlin in TEXAS Pat, I didn't want to rub it in anyones face! &amp; of course our crawfish are as big as huge lobsters but taste better! I don't mean to BRAG! Wait a minute, texan and don't mean to brag! Just kidding folks! I can't imagine where out of Texas staters gets the idea We may brag a little! No kiddin thou, OLD timers as late as 1950's tell me stories about back when and amount of water fowl and fish/shrimp that was down here! It must have been amazing! Ok I'll shut up and recipes sounded good! roho

ROHO, There is an itsy bitsy town (a named place with residents but not even a cross roads) near here. It has a store and an eating establishment, a little hole in the wall with a huge sign over it proclaiming it to be...

"ROHOS". I think of you every time I pass it.

I intend to eat there just so I can say I did. Anyway, I have been intending to post a snapshot of it for your amusement but have to remember to take the camera with me when I head that way.

We went to 3 Wally World establishments and NONE had Jalapeno plants. The only hot peppers I could find was one 6 pack of habaneros that I have planted now. Since they are about 20 times as hot as jalapenos, maybe I don't need more. My wife brought me some jalapeno plants this PM so I guess I will plant them tomorrow.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Boy Howdy! Your talkin! Crawdads are just a might bit on the good tastin side!

We get em out of the rivers and lakes around here. In fact, Isleton, Ca has a pretty big shindig of a Crawdad Festival every year!

We used to go out in the rice fields and get them. We had an old Chevy Nova Hatchback. We'd put a big stock wattering trough in there, about 5' across and 2' deep. We'd have one guy moving the car along the road side irrigation canal, one person waling behind with a big fishing net on a pole, and to guys in the ditch just grabbing those crawdads by the handful! they'd put them in the net, and go from there to the trough in the back of the car. We'd have that thing just brimming full.

Then we'd take them home, boil 'em up, and eat them with a little garlic butter!

Aint done that in years. Not sure we could even get out in the fields any more... Sure was fun, and good eatin!

Hey Pat, left U a PM! BTW lookin forward for pic of ROHOs! Must be different Ho's thou.All our Ho's came from other side(east) of Sabine River! Just kiddin! Let me see crawfish eggrolls,sounds good!

[img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Smoked Marlin??
    [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Where in the heck am I supposed to get one of those at 8000ft up???

I want ot make a few horsedurves, not enough for the whole town, waddya do withthe rest of the Marlin, make a big ol marlin casserole??LOL

Hmmm, crawfis eggrols sound good, ya ever had firecracker shrimp??

The kind where ya cut a little slit down the shrimp, put in the slit a little strip of your favorite cheese and a strip of jalepno, then roll it all up in egg roll wrapper, twist the ends , then deep fry... WHOOOOYAAA!!

Thank sfor all the suggestions, oh am I ever gettin hungry, I just may skip the main dish!!... and just eat the horsedurves!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I ran across this while googlin horsedurves...ohhhhh
    anyone wanna go to this wedding with me?????
    [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Passed Hors d' Oeuvres

Chicken Pinwheels with the Rub &amp; Montana Contemporary Seasoning
    Yak Meatballs with the BBQ Sauce from Xavy’s Kitchen
    Smoked Salmon Rolls with an Avocado &amp; Dill Mousse
    Blue Corn Coated Jalapenos and Serrano Chiles stuffed with Goat Cheese and Jalapenos stuffed with Peanut Butter (an old miner's favorite and actually quite good!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Plated Salads

Mixed Field Greens with Lemon Stilton, Raspberries, Pinion nuts tossed with a Raspberry Tarragon Vinaigrette
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Beef Station

Grilled Bison and Montana Beef Tenderloin with a Chipotle &amp; Wild Mushroom Marsala Sauce, Chimayo Chili &amp; Sage Cream Sauce, Classic Cabernet &amp; Shallot Sauce
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Seafood Station

Grilled Glacier Rainbow Trout with a Chipotle Sauce with Toasted Pinion Nuts &amp; Fresh Chives, Habenero Horseradish Whip and a Sauce Noisette
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Two Medicine Potato Station

Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
    Whipped Potatoes with Crème Fraiche &amp; Fresh Chives
    Mashed Potatoes with Chimayo &amp; Poblano Chilis
    Sweet Potato &amp; Ginger Mashed Potatoes
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Accompaniment Station

Haricot Verts with a Citrus Lime Sauce
    &amp; Orange Buttered Baby Carrots
    Wholewheat Dinner Rolls with Sage Butter Flowers

roho, Crab puffs are OK but not better than crawdad puffs!

Been busy but did answer the PM.