Thread: Anybody using any X-10 devices?

Anybody using any X-10 devices?

I've always been interested in X-10 and the devices. I just cant think of too many practical uses other than automation of light control, perhaps I'm not creative enough.
    Anybody here use X-10 devices and if so for what?

Thanks
    -dave

Re: Anybody using any X-10 devices?

I had some in the old place so as to be able to swich light throughout the hose without leaving the bed. But as the devices failed I never bothered to replace them. Mine were from Radio Shack. Some said X-10 while others said X-10 Compatable.

These guys http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ have about anything you'd ever need.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

We have candle lights in each window of the house (year 'round). I have them all on X-10 with a photocell contoller. A second controller in the master bedroom allows us to turn them off at bedtime.

I also use the same photocell controller for the outside lights. Our alarm system is supposed to "talk" to the X-10 system but I've not been able to get that to work. No real need, but there are some neat things I might be able to do if it worked [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

I use some of the X-10 stuff. I have several of the modules that I control Christmas lights and such with. I also use it to provide a "lived" in look for a couple of lights in the house. We also have an X-10 wireless alarm system. I really wanted it monitor one of my sheds where my tools are, but it wouldn't reach there. Got real expensive real quick trying to "extend" the ranges. It'll reach my garage though, so once that is done my tools will be there and "protected" [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I don't have one of the door sensors acting up on me a bit though. It won't always "reset" itself when closing the door. It senses the opening and closing just doesn't reset. I believe it has a one year warranty. One of these days I'll get in touch with X-10 and see if they'll send me another. I've been using the X-10/Radio Shack stuff now for probably close to 15 years.

I've been using just a few modules and a remote controller/timer for a lot of years from Radio Shack. I think the timer has finally bit the dust. It won't let me change the program. Whenever I try to, it displays a time of 18:88 Don't remember ever seeing that on my normal clocks [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    It does keep time, the battery is fresh but I just can't change the program now that winter is over......well almost. Expecting a lot of snow in Ohio this weekend.

Jim, if you use the plug in modules (if possible) for the sheds, they will work out there. They work on the electric lines.

Inspector, I recall mine doing that once. It was as if it was overloaded. I hit the clear button a number of times and it then took programming again. Good luck!

Bret has it exactly right. You are only allowed 2 on/2 off times per channel and I believe only a total of 8 events. When this happens just go through program review on each channel, hit the on button, and then clear, it should now display all 0s, hit on again. Hit clear again. Now do the same procedure for off, and then finally repeat for all 4/8 channels. I can usually clear mine in just a few seconds. I then just start my programming over from scratch.

Thanks Jim,
    Lets see if that works. Maybe I should read the manual which is laying underneath the controller........naw..... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yes i have.
    I converted my entire house over to x-10. Keep in mind that this was 8 years ago, and better tech is available. I had remote control of the lights, the house looked livied in it when we where gone for long peroiods of time, i even had a button by my bed that would turn off all the lights and make sure the garage dor was closed. If it was open, and could not close, the lights in the bedroom would blink several times, and i would have to go see what toy was in the way. I also used it to teach about turnig off lights when not in use. Set up & debug is a little bit time consuming, but i enjoyed it.