Thread: kid & wood? tool's?

kid & wood? tool\'s?

Hello everyone, My son just now became a teenager. He asked since school was getting out soon, if he could do project's this summer building thing's out of wood. We have a hammer, nails, measuring tape, and a hand saw like thing. I was wondering if any more tools were needed and any advice would be helpful. Not sure what projects a 13 year old boy could do except maybe a birdhouse, needs to be woman friendly since I am a widow. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Re: kid & wood? tool\'s?

<font color="purple"> I was wondering if any more tools were needed and any advice would be helpful. </font color>

Learning to do stuff with only hand tools is good experience in woodworking. At a minimum, he'll need a drill, too, and some bits. The bird house will need a hole for the birds to enter.

This can be a brace-type hand drill, with auger bits. You can find these at yard sales.

Also, the hand saw needs to be sharp to be effective; otherwise it will just be frustrating. He could learn to sharpen it, or you might want to purchase a new one.

Then, he'll need some screwdrivers and chisels; and a hand plane; rasps and files (triangular shaped file for sharpening a hand saw); an awl; nail sets.

All of these hand tools will still be useful to him if he progresses to power tools and stationary power tools. And if he doesn't, you can have your own yard sale [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks Hank for the great advice on the tools. Could you tell me what kind of wood would be right to purchase for small projects like a birdhouse and stuff like that? I have know idea. Thanks

A free throwaway pallet or packing crate is a good wood source to learn some skills with. MY dad used to bring me home used lumber and crates to take apart. Given the size of my allowance, I straightened the nails and reused them.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Spruce or pine or fir; they're soft and easy to work.

Poplar would be good too!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

<font color="purple"> Poplar </font color>

Poplar is easy to work, as one of the softest hardwoods. But, in my experience anyway, it does not hold up so well out in the weather, so for a birdhouse, it would not be my first choice.

For carving and general working, poplar is an excellent wood.

You're probably correct about the longevity outdoors, but it's nice for beginners because it's grain is almost nonexistant and it takes paint very well. Also available at box stores in various widths and thickness.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Getting him started on woodworking is a great idea. Hand tools are the way to begin, especially since it sounds like he'll be learning as he goes. But power tools really make a big difference in how difficult things are.

There are several type of power saws, which are probably one of the biggest time savers. However, they are *extremely* dangerous so I would not let him use one until he gets older. Stationary saws are expensive, and while handheld circular saws don't cost much they are (IMHO) too heavy for adolescents.

But the reason I posted was that I might recommend that he get a cordless drill / driver. They aren't too expensive for the lower end models and my drill probably gets more use than any other single power tool, including my tractor. Not only do they drill holes but they drive screws, which I now use for many things that I used to use nails for.

Have him mow a few lawns to pay for it and he'll really like it.

My choice for easy but reasonably versatile wood is pine. Old pallets are excellent sources of cheap (free) wood, as mentioned.

I'd use whatever wood is available at the proper price.

Tools can be a bit sticky wicket depending on the quality and quanity.

Keeping things sharp and rust free is a major item.

Librarys have books with pictures in them. May help with ideas.

Egon