Thread: pasture mix to grow on eroded soil?

pasture mix to grow on eroded soil?

hi guys, looking for a pasture grass that will take root pretty good, and has good roots, i need to seed some places in our new land that had been tore up by 4 wheelers, straight up the side of the hill. they cut really bad rds, water has cut them deeper, soil is clay like, plan on using mulch hay to help hold the seeds in place.. what would you sugest that would take off in these conditions thanks Rose [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Re: pasture mix to grow on eroded soil?

I know this post was a made awhile back but I do have some suggestions if you still have the problem.

You can put in winter rye or wheat for now, or Austrian Winter Peas.

When it warms up, use lespedeza or tift9 bahia (a fast growing variety). Bahia roots will go up to 18' deep, so will hold a slope good. I use both of these for warm grasses for slopes in land developments, in my erosion control business. Bahia can handle close grazing, high traffic (the loggers use it for their road systems that get torn up bad), bad soil, drought, etc.

Thanks for the info. I may try this on some of my "hard to grow grass" pastures that are high on clay content. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    - William

Exercise care... you might not like the long term results if you plant cerecia lespedeza. (there are other lespedzas but I am NOT recommending them) although it is a hardy plant it is frequently thought of as a persistent pernicious weed that was foisted off on the unsuspecting under the guise of "We are from the Government and we are hear to HELP you."

In these parts the enlightened among us burn fields and spray them to try to rid themselves of this plant. Allthough cattle will eat it when it is small and fast growing it soon becomes unpalatable for two reasons when it gets bigger: 1, it concentrates tannin and tastes bad, 2. it gets tough-woody and cattle avoid it and perfectly good grass near it. The myth is that it is the poor man's alfalfa. BALDERDASH!

Given a choice, I'd find alternative plants.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Fescue is the best low cost grass. Just dont over graze it.

thanks for imput, i have seen the grass the loggers sew, i didnt know what it was, it does seem tough{texture},the mules would eat it im sure, but i dont want it to take over my bottom land hummmm gottta think about the pros and cons thanks again Rose [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rose, Kudzu and green briar are both hearty plants requiring low maint.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"