Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I slow down the grass growth?

Re: How can I slow down the grass growth?

OK folks here is grass 101: The leaves on grass are like little solar panels providing the energy to convert nutrients and moisture into more grass. Grasses with runners and lots of leaves low down on the plant retain lots of "solar panels" even when mowed short and so they recover and grow back easily. Grasses that have few leaves really close to the ground are stunted in their growth by close cropping (mowing or grazing.) Once you have picked an appropriate grass for your use (as well as climate and such) and it is established then close cropping will slow the growth dramatically. This interferes with drought tollerance so be prepared to have to sprinkle it if you get drought conditions.

45% scale???????????????? Some of us get in and fly planes of that general size!!!!!!!!!

Chemical imballance will also stunt growth of plants in general. You can mess with the pH (fairly easily and easy to correct) or do something drastic like introduce a series of light saltings untill growth is slowed enough. This is a more drastic approach and EXTREMELY difficult (read costly) to reverse but is innexpensive to do and is effective. Make haste slowly with salt as overdoing it is a problem.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

google - turf growth retardant

There are turf growth retardant chemicals.
    I would rather mow it than spray it.
    Try cutting shorter when you do mow.

good luck,
    particleman

I'd be willing to bet that doing anything chemically to the grass will cost more than regularly mowing normal grass, like bluegrass. Start messing with stunting the growth, and then you need to combat the weeds that will surely want to take that 'space' left by the thick lush grass.

Just an opinion, but mowing is easy, and thoughtless, for the most part. Chemical applications will be the nemesis of whoever in the Club sticks their neck out, and leaves an unsightly 'strip' with weeds and bare spots. Just an opinion.

Good luck. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]