Thread: Dog on the porch window

Dog on the porch window

How can you get a dog to not jump on a window?

I have a great little Golden Retriever. She is a pretty nice dog. She is a bit small(she was the runt in the litter), generally well behaved, and knows basic stuff like sit, lay down, shake, ect. We also have another dog, a 14 year old Aussie Sheperd. The dogs have a yard off the back of the house. Access is from our back deck, which has a large sliding glass window/door.

When we are not home, or are too busy to watch the dogs, they stay in thier yard. When we are home, they usually are in the house with us, or if we are about on the property, they are with us. When we feed them, the Golden eats on the deck, while the older Aussie Shepard eats inside(the Golden will try to eat the others food). Sometimes the golden will be outside by herself, if she wants out, needs to potty, ect. Sometimes the Aussie is outside for same reasons. Most times they are together though. They have pillows inside, and stay inside at night. They do have a dog house on the deck, so they can get out of the rain while we're at work, ect.

That's the background, here's the issue...

The Golden will yap, and jump on the sliding window when she is outside, whether by herself or with the other dog. The yap is not bad, it's the jumping on and against the window that bothers us. I can move them off the deck, and close the gate leading to the deck; oh my! Then she jumps all over the gate and barks.

If we go to the door, she backs off. We can tell her no, correct her(a firm NO, and tell her to get back). But, it is like she knows she is not suppossed to jump or scratch at the window, and she'll back away when we come to the door. In seconds, she'll be back at it again.

It is really a pain when we have company or something, and really want the dogs out of the house. She'll jump on the window, then we close them off the deck. Then she'll jump on the gate, yap, bark.....

I know she wants in with us. She is a social, people dog. But, sometimes she needs to be outside. And, when she is, we don't want her jumping on the window, scratching at the window, and leaving paw prints all over it(right now the paw prints go about 4.5' up the window).

Any idea's? I just don't know what to do other than what I have mentioned above.

Re: Dog on the porch window

Wow, I'm all ears on this one, but it sounds like you need to do some untraining....
    Did this happen? She was young, you opened the sliding door for her to go out and do the doo, she came back when done and jumped on the door and barked, you let her in and said, Good Girl, Good Girl! Just one scenario in which you MAY have enforced a behavior you didn't realize you would not want to continue.

On the other hand, do you want to stop/correct a dog for wanting to be with you? Goldens aren't Aussies, who are a bit more independent thinking and acting. I'm not putting down GRs at all, as it may be her temperment or genetic makeup that is driving her, also. Lots of folks pick out the runt for one reason or the bigger bully for another without realizing that the way they interacted with their littermates could very well carry over to the way they act when older. She may just be a clingy dog and needing her master around, as the runts generally aren't the boldest of the litter. Does she jump on the sliding door if you are outside with her and someone else walks by the door?

You may be better off training her to lay down in the house somewhere when you want her out of the way.