Thread: Chicken can't walk

Chicken can\'t walk

Our problem is a friend of ours gave us a couple of chickens.
    Shortly after getting them the hens feet curled over on her and now she can't walk. She hobles around good enough to eat and drink. She lays an egg allmost everyday. Seems healthy other than not being able to walk. Is she to fat and ready for the BBQ?
    [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Chicken can\'t walk

If she can eat and lay eggs, then let her do her job. If she is laying eggs, she is too tough for the BBQ. She is a stewing hen, but that is not all that bad with dumplings.

What kind of feed is the hen on?

It sounds like a mineral deficency.

Thanks for the reply,
    She has been eating egg laying feed.
    Thanks Paul

I had a hen that broke her leg when one of the horses stepped on her. She hobbled around fine, and still produced eggs. Although, I should have put her down after it happened. As time went on, her health declined and she spent less and less time moving around. It was not healthy and the other chickens would pick on her. I have no problems making a mean rooster dinner, but a nice hen was another story. A fox got into our coop and killed her and 10 other chickens. Overall, I should have done something sooner since these animals are not meant to hobble around, and at some point their health will decline due to their mobility problems.

I hope your hen will be fine in the future, but keep a close eye and don't let them suffer.

Joe