Thread: favourite breeds of cows

favourite breeds of cows

i have some favourites like peidemonties and milking short horn blonde aquadote j/w wat you peoples r

Re: favourite breeds of cows

Registered Texas Longhorn.......pretty to look at, easy to breed and maintain, pretty much maintenance free, the healthiest beef you will ever find to eat. Very docile.

Well I reckon longhorns would be my favorite also, just because of reading J.Frank Dobies book on Longhorns! What a breed! Now Watusi's are neat looking but I think my next favorite would be those mini oreo's or jerseys! Oh what kind is that on the counter at Krogers, NOW THAT'S my favorite!

I have experience with only two breeds Herefords and Irish Dexters, I love my Dexters.

Angus.....Black or Red.....
    They winter good,low risk of pink eye,naturally polled.....they calve easy...small calves that grow fast...good feed to weight conversion...strong mothering instincts....great tasting beef and a very popular breed .

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I have experience with only two breeds Herefords and Irish Dexters, I love my Dexters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm interested in your experience with Dexters. We looked at them at a recent county fair. We have two horses and were thinking of getting one as a pet. Are they easy to keep? Do they get along OK with horses, dogs, chickens, etc? They seemed very calm and docile at the fair.

we farm a 40 beef cow operation and we just quit milking holstiens and shorthorns about 4 months ago i have just bouthg a calf of my boss it came out of a holstien cow that had had a embryo put in 8 days after she was bred just to make her catch and be in calf i turned out to be a really nice llooking black herfored heifer

Meleininger everything about Dexters compared to other cattle is easy. Tough, easy calvers, I have never had to assist one and have not lost one yet, less feed, will eat anything they will browse like goats, calm and docile, easy handling, they do get along well with other livestock and the best part is the bulls temperaments. Although I never turn my back on them I have never once had a problem and I have owned over 20 adult bulls over the years. For the small farmer that just wants a couple of cows they are tough to beat.