Thread: Yard Hydrant Needs Repair

Yard Hydrant Needs Repair

When we turn off the water of our yard hydrant water shoots out the valve and is making a muddy mess. We bought a repair kit but seeing as there are no instructions in the box, we're not sure how to go about fixing it. Can anyone provide some guidance? This is a Clayton Mark 2506-K model. A net search isn't turning up Clayton Mark.

Thanks,
    Karen H

Re: Yard Hydrant Needs Repair

If you were able to find a repair kit for that hydrant, it should be straightforward. It sounds like the packing around the shaft has gone bad.

In that case, just pull the pin that connects the shaft to the handle, take the handle off, take off the nut that holds the packing, replace the packing and reassemble.

Thanks. We ended up replacing the whole thing.

I have a similar problem with a what I believe is a Clayton Mark yard Hydrant. Was your hydrant red with a stamped 2506-K on the handle? Other than that I can find no other distinguishing marks. Oh, there is a stamped USA on the other side of the head. I have found some replacement parts on the internet. It appears that this is a 5451 series hydrant. The 2506K is just the part number for the handle. Is this the same conclusion that you reached? Thanks for any help in this matter. I would rather not replace the hydrant. How was that? It seemed like a fair bit of work? Were you able to do it by yourself?

John