Thread: Water Pressure

Water Pressure

The water to my house is supplied by a 5,000 gal. rain catchment tank and I am wondering if I can replace the old shallow well pump with a water pressure booster system; while still leaving the old pressure tank in line...

Re: Water Pressure

Placing the booster pump between the well pump's outlet and the SINGLE existing pressure tank is a MAYBE solution/proposition. Placing the booster pump after the existing pressure tank is also not the greatest since the new pump will short cycle and have premature wear if you don't add another pressure tank.

If you install the booster after the existing pressure tank and add at least a small pressure tank (I prefer the bladder style) after the booster you'll get good performance and extended life for the booster pump/motor.

This arrangement will work fine but realize that increased delivery pressure means more consumption with increased flow demand from the well and the original pump. If the well andn pump can keep up you'll get more water at a higher delivered pressure and less noticible pressure drop when using more than one faucet, shower etc.

If your plumbing has any marginal/weak spots that are just barely hanging together without leaking at your current max (no demand) pressure then the higher pressure might cause some leaking. This assume you want a higher static pressure. If your static pressure is high enough but working pressures go too low when using water then the leak warning is not so important.

How does the cost of a second small pressure tank and booster pump compare to a stronger well pump?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Water Pressure

What problem are you solving?

You may wish to look at http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/index.html