Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground blacktop driveway question

Ground blacktop driveway question

I'm waiting for my last load of ground blacktop from our highway dept. to be delivered. I've spread it and rolled with large lawn roller. Anyone have any tips or tricks for sealing it. If I could I'd rent a larger roller. Any ideas would be appreciated. I really like the material and it's fairly inexpensive.

Re: Ground blacktop driveway question

You may be able to locate a local paving contractor to spread a tack coat to help seal. It will cost [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I don't know what part of the world you're in, but my brother had a circle drive done with the recycled asphalt. The folks who sold it to him told him that to seal it and make it just like a new asphalt drive, he could spray a very light coating of diesel on it in the hot summer weather, then roll it. However, he never did that; just spread it with my Kubota and started driving on it, and it made a nice driveway.

Thank you for the replys. I live in upstate New York, we get about two weeks of summer [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

you can def. rent a larger roller from a local rental company. as well diesel will do a really good job, or some home heating oil. hang a 55 gallon drum from the three point pop holes in the side and drive down the drive then roll again. done

Don't do it...!

Diesel will desolve/break down the asphault and you'll end up with a mess. I used to haul Asphault and we would use Diesel to remove tar build up in our dump trucks.

The reason the diesel worked well to 'clean' the truck may be the reason it works well to bind the ground-up blacktop together, when rolled. Just thinkin it might.

I was told last year when I had my drive blacktopped, and had a couple loads of ground blacktop hauled in to fill along the edges, that used motor oil would turn the ground blacktop into a very firm product, close to blacktop. I have spread most of the ground blacktop, and like it very well without the oil added. But where I did add the oil, it leaves a pretty firm base.

Dumb question...... how long does it take for deisel to dry? If I do put a fine spray from a pump up sprayer will it dry or will it get tracked all over the placeThank you for all your replys.
    Gary

Not a 'dumb' question, but I don't have the answer.
    I spilled some diesel on mine the other day, and it seems dry to walk on now (one week). I can see where it was spilled and really can't tell if it is bound any better or about the same (except for color) as the area without diesel. I didn't roll it.

Asphalt is a bituminous based oil product.

Diesel and motor oil are paraffin based products. They may be produced from highly altered bituminous oils.

Diesel/motor oil will dissolve asphalt. Apply enough and you will have some nice gravel with nothing binding it together.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]