Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ground blacktop driveway question

Re: Ground blacktop driveway question

If you want to ruin a driveway or parking lot, dump a 5 gallon bucket of diesel on it. It does a great job of dissolving the tar that binds the blacktop.

I've known of vandals doing this on purpose. The only cure is to remove the area and re-pave.

I've had plumbers tell me stupid things about plumbing, electricians about wiring, etc. (And don't get me started on the subject of veterans & cops commenting on guns!)

Just because somebody's a "professional" doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Many have learned by rote how to do a particular job, but have no real understanding of what they are doing.

Just a small thing but please note that the difference between a professional and an expert is that the pro gets paid and the expert is very knowledgeable. They may or may not be the same person.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Well said!

It should also be noted that a string of letters after a name do not guarantee expertise. Often the only result of an advanced education is to fill a head with just enough information to shut down any further learning. My father describes such people as being "educated beyond their intelligence".

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    a string of letters after a name do not guarantee expertise

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a college English professor I knew over 30 years ago; one of those individuals you like instantly and quickly realize he has both the education (Phd of course) and common sense. He also liked to joke and said, "You know what those letters are, don't you? Everyone knows what BS is, MS is more of the same, and Phd is piled higher and deeper."

result of an advanced education is to fill a head with just enough information to shut down any further learning

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I know of one like that, too. He, also, had a Phd and thought he should be promoted because of that education, but he just couldn't pass the civil service written exam for promotion.

Was this a response to something I said? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Naw, what Bird passed on:

<font color="blue"> The folks who sold it to him told him that to seal it and make it just like a new asphalt drive, he could spray a very light coating of diesel on it in the hot summer weather, then roll it. </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

Feller that said that was daft. Or mebbe making sure he had another paying job down the road, replacing that driveway.

Either that, or we're just jacking our jaws! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I live down in Texas and my neighbor black-topped his driveway and now since we only get 2 weeks of winter if we are lucky, it stays extrememly hot and sometimes gooey. I helpd his wife change her tire the other day and my jack sank in the asphalt. Also the entry way of the house is now stained black from shoes.