Thread: Using all T-posts with Wedge-Loc's on my fence?

Using all T-posts with Wedge-Loc\'s on my fence?

I need to build a combination dog/chicken run. I have decided on a woven wire fence. It will be L-shaped with the longest run being 135 feet along the base of the 'L'. I plan to use wood posts/braces at the corners and steel T-posts along the fence line. I'm not looking forward to digging the post holes for the wood posts and I found a web site for Wedge-Loc braces and brackets that supposedly allow you to construct an all T-post fence. I was wondering if anyone has used these before or could give me some points to ponder before I spend the money. FYI the URL is: Wedge-Loc bracing system. Thanks in advance.

Re: Using all T-posts with Wedge-Loc\'s on my fence?

you could use cattle panels, its about $1.00 per foot. kinda the same thing only it comes in 16' sections instead of rolls. you can use all t-poles with them

Re: Using all T-posts with Wedge-Loc\'s on my fence

Wedgelocs are OK but I recommend you buy some longer posts to use with them.

I have also welded t-posts to get the same basic effect.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks, folks. If I go with the Wedge-Loc's I am going to use 8 foot T-posts for my corner and gate posts and drive them deep. Interesting idea about the cattle panels, though. I had not thought of that. I will look into it.

Post some pics and an after action report if those things work I am interested.

10-4. Will take pics as I go along and post them along with an after-action report [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Ugh... if it's a combination "dog/chicken" run those must be some really mean chickens.

They'll tear you apart, man. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Seriously, a little overkill on the chicken run is more to keep one of my Labs out than anything else. Of my three dogs the two males (one Lab, one mutt) are gentle and not really a concern. The famale Lab is the one out for scalps. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And she's the only one that's been 'fixed' so go figure.

For what it's worth, I've used Wedge-Locs for several fencing projects (horse fencing), and they've worked quite well. When you use the 8 foot posts for the corners, it's pretty impressive how much tension you can put on the corner. I use 48" field fencing, pulled tight with a come-along until the wire fairly hums, and the corners don't move at all.

Spend the effort and dig the post holes and put wooden posts in. You'll be glad you did in the long run.

Dick