Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 220 V rewiring

Re: 220 V rewiring

Yes, I'll have to make my own cord. I looked through the Grainger and McMaster-Carr catalogs today and the only 20A 110V cord I could find was $147 for a 25 footer.

I don't think so! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, I just installed a sub panel in the tractor shed. It is Cutler-Hammer and has no main breaker nor "regular" terminals for the input wires. It uses a couple "dummy" breakers to inject power to the busses. Among other thintgs that it feeds is a collection of sockets. I have a quad 120V on a 20 amp breaker, 20, 30, and 50 amp 240 volt sockets fed by 20, 30, qnd 50 amp double pole 240 V breakers respectively. OF course I don't intend to use more than one of those 240 circuits at a time. This box also will feed my vertical air compressor which I elect to install in the tractor shed instead of in the shop out of noise consideration. Likewise the cyclonic dust collection system goes under the shed against the shop wall due to space and noise considerations. My electricians were going to put high output lights under the shed roof for good starting characteristics at reduced temps but I opted for electronic ballasts which will fire standard lights at reduced temps.

I drew the line at having one of each type socket as there are just too many different ones. My welding extension cords, 32 and 68 ft are fitted with male and female connectors with two vertical blades of unequal size and a U neutral. This is a "dryer" configuration prior to the 4 wire style that has an earth (safety) ground included. My AC/DC stick welder (Lincoln 240 V 50 amp input) came prewired with that "older" dryer configuration so I will just use it.

I too have a 240 volt outlet in the garage in case of "motor home" needs but am clueless as to the best bet in socket configurations. I guess I'll just wire it with the new 4 wire "dryer" configuration and make any adaptors as required to fit other styles needed, if any unless someone can advise me of any standard. What say, Inspector?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I wish I had been smart enough to spec. 20A 110V outlest in the garage. Then I could have shipped this sub panel. But the electrician installed 15A.

I used the new panel and 20A receptacle, and my newly made 20A extension coed, today with my MIG welder. Every thing worked fine. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I did find that Lowes carries a 20A 50' extension cord. But I made my own 25' for about half the money. The 110V 20A plugs and receptacles are a little pricey though. And it's easy to grab a 250V 20A by mistake. They are mirror images of one another. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Lowes is much better stocked than HD.

Next I'm going to add another 20A near the garage doors, and perhaps a 50A 110V for my friends 5th wheel trailer
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?