Thread: Sassafras Tea, How do you make it?

Sassafras Tea, How do you make it?

While growing up in Louisiana, My Grandmother made a tea, they called Sassafras, made from, I belive the roots of a sassafras tree. Does any one out there know how this is done? This was a very good drink, and I would like to try and make some?
    Also, does any one here know What is wrong over on TBN?
    New to this site, have been using TBN.

Re: Sassafras Tea, How do you make it?

From the Internet. Lots of hits.

Sassafras Tea

Sassafras tea is lovely to drink with your meal, or while sitting under a tree pondering the secrets of nature.

INGREDIENTS

* 5 cups water
    * 5 (five inch) pieces of washed Sassafras root

METHOD

Sassafras comes in two varieties: Red and Yellow. Red is the preferred root for tea, although Yellow Sassafras is good but is just not as strong in flavor. If you cannot dig Sassafras roots you may find them for sale in the produce section of a supermarket. They will probably resemble wood chips rather than roots but will work just as well. When I was a kid, we always kept a bunch of Sassafras root in storage and drank it throughout the year. You will recognize the smell even if you have never tasted it because Sassafras is one of the main ingredients in Root Beer, and gives Root Beer that marvelous aroma. Sassafras tea should be used in moderation. The old-timers told me the tea was a 'spring tonic' as it thinned the blood, which had thickened in the cold winter.

Bring water to boil and add roots. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Cover, remove from the heat and let steep for 5 minutes. Serve hot with or without sugar.

Red Sassafras will make a beautiful reddish tea; yellow Sassafras will make a light orange tea. You will end up with about 4-1/2 cups.

Enjoy this tea with your meal.

recipe from www.inmamaskitchen.com

Contributor: Cliff Lowe

read more about native american cooking[/b]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks egon, thats sounds about right, I remember going out and diging up roots with my Dad. Now all I have to do, is find a site to show me what the leafs of the Sassafras tree look like, although, I remember the smell, ahh so nice.

Also, TBN is back up and running, I think they were re-vamping the layout.

I have enjoyed sassafras tea and whent through a period where I used cider (apple juice not hard cider) to make it rather than water. This too makes a very refreshing drink.

I have also bottled my own rootbeer which can be pretty good too.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Heres a page with information and a few pictures.Here in Mississippi it grows mostly in fence rows and road sides
    http://altnature.com/gallery/Sassafras.htm

rebelmedic,

Thanks for the info, I will be heading to Brookhaven MS, on tuesday to work on the CN Railroad, in that area. I will be on the look out for the Sassafras trees. Thanks for the link.

Troy [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]