Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deck building

deck building

I'm looking at building a deck (16X24 - 6-11' off the ground) this year. All the marketing sure says that Composite is the way to go, but not much of a track record to proove it. What do you all say? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    I'm concerned about sagging, stains from a late night spilled glass of wine, curling, etc. But the new treated stuff may not hold up huh. Cedar deck in Ohio? What about Cedar vs composite?
    I'm also wanting to go with vinyl railing & spindles like the front porch on my house.

Re: deck building

Shade; I've seen and heard good things about the composite except for the price. The new ACQ, myself, I'm not sure of it yet. Why not the cedar, I've used it in Michigan, but then the price on it also. If you choose cedar or ACQ, be sure to use stainless fasteners with both, and also stainless hardware.

I think the biggest concern would be the vinyl railings. I think you need a 200# rated sideload requirement with the height of your deck. Also no openings greater than 4" and railings will have to be 36" high per code. But since your in that other country of Ohio, check with your local building dept. I've said it before, and will again, the building dept. is paid to HELP you and local codes vary. Good luck, and keep us posted, with photos too ofcourse. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

The first time I 'met' a real composite deck in 'person', I noticed two things right away.

1. It was hot. That stuff seems to really hold the heat.

2. It had a big grease stain from last year's barbeque accident.

As the composite was that light gray stuff, the grease spot was REALLY noticeable, and NOT pretty. The owner said they had not been able to clean it up.

I really like all the pluses of the composite as far as the maintenance goes, but that big grease spot scares me every time I think of using the stuff. OTOH, I was at some rich person's house a couple of weeks ago, and they had a deck of the stuff that had more square feet than my house (no exaggeration!) and it looked great.

Dunno what I'll do when I have the money for a deck, but I know I'll think about the low maintenance and I'll think about that grease spot. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I wonder if anyone tried detergent solution sprayed from a pressure washer? Maybe a detergent with enzymes to eat the grease...

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Or a beagle, beagles love to lick up grease spots.

I don't know what all they tried (they said they'd tried 'everything'), but I'm quite sure a dog wasn't going to clean it up. That stuff is porous, and the grease had made itself right at home DOWN IN the material. I felt it to get an idea of how cleanable it might be, and it felt barely greasy. But it sure was noticeable.

I was kidding, I figured from what you said the grease had penetrated and stained the deck material.

I considered using the composite decking boards, but as I was adding on to an existing deck and wanted it to match somewhat I just used pressure treated southern yellow pine.

The composite stuff is also quite a bit more expensive.

Regarding maintenance, my wife promised to do the yearly wood treatment on the deck now in exchange for having a nicer, bigger deck.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh. Duh. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Your wife is going to do the maintenance? Can I talk to you about land in Florida? I've got this bridge, here, too...

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ahh, well I don't really figure she will do the deck washing and treating routine.

I kind of knew I was being sold some swampland on that deal, but what the heck, the deck is nice to sit on...

Yeah, sometimes the best thing to do is walk into one of these swindles with our eyes wide shut.

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]