Thread: water softener doesn't recharge - any ideas?

water softener doesn\'t recharge - any ideas?

I have a Culligan (Mark 10) water softener system that suddenly (?) stopped recharging though nothing was changed. Until a couple/three weeks ago, it was set to recharge every other night. Now it doesn't see to be tripping, even though the pins appear to be set as they were previously.

I'm not very familiar with these systems. Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks.

Re: water softener doesn\'t recharge - any ideas?

I'm assuming it has a clock/timer motor. Have you checked that it is still moving?

Thanks Inspector, the clock is still moving. I talked with Culligan yesterday and they told me this unit is metered and he suspected maybe the meter needed replaced. We'll see...

Look in your owners manual and see if there are any user cleanable areas...perhaps a screen or orifice is plugged that you can clean to get it operating again. My sears water softener has quit using salt and pretty much stopped softening the water recently. I cleaned out the area where the water passes thru to go into the tank to make the brine solution, one small opening was plugged ... now its working fine again. Whew, lucky me. I just keep nursing this old one along.