Thread: Wolves

Wolves

have just had them come to the back of our farm we are abotu a mile form the city and they are howling constantly for the first time we have never had the ever before we sort of think its from across the road weer they are puttign a new road in and they are taring down the forest we arent so sure they start to howl right when we put our dogs out( boxer and border collie) my boss said they do a yelp to lure the dogs out and then they kill them is this right?

Re: Wolves

That's right.

Hmmm, I heard they try to convert them to the Dark Side first....
    [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Just read an article today about a Wisconsin wolf (Price County) that grabbed a farm dog and was chased by the farmers wife, yelling and ready to use a steel pipe. The wolf had a throat hold on their lab/collie-mix farm dog. The wolf had lifted the dogs front legs off the ground and was dragging it across the open field (farmhouse and buildings were not close to a woods). The wolf did let go, and they stopped the bleeding from the neck and got the dog to a vet, and it lived.

In another instance at about the same time, a calf was killed by a wolf. It's been a regular thing for hunters to lose their hunting dogs to wolf packs. Still the wolf is on the endangered list so can't be killed (legally).

My neighbor told me a story where one of the local coyotes grabbed a small dog. The owner heard the dog scream, went running outside and the coyote dropped the little dog, ran around an outbuilding and lay down waiting in the shadows....
    I guess he thought the owner would put the dog outside for him again. The dog lived without needing vet care.

<font color="red">can't be killed (legally). </font color>

Now if you see the wolf actually trying to kill livestock you can shoot them. But there is an investigation and you have to leave everything as it was when you shot the wolf. The Fish and Game warden comes out and either justifies or non-justified shooting. If it's justified that's it. If it's non-justified you are cited and have to go to court. At least that's the way it is in MT, ID, and OR.

We have coyotes in my area, and they are considered a nuisance species. Therefore, we can kill them. They usually don't bother us, but the local ranchers complain about them killing their calves. The environmental people argue they only kill the weak calves, but the ranchers don't agree. I have seen numerous young deer killed by them. The coyotes also dig up endagerd gopher tortoise and kill them too. I have only had one problem with coyotes after hurricane Jeanne. My chicken coop was destroyed and the chickens started roosting in the barn. The coyotes would wait until dawn when the chicken would come down from the roost, then kill them. The coyotes killed so many chickens, they were leaving their carcasses all over the pasture. In a period of three days, I lost 12 chickens. I had to stop the culprit or I was going to lose my entire flock.

Coyotes= shoot,shovel &amp; shutup. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Gettin Back To My Country Roots