Thread: Use equine wormer on dogs and cats??

Use equine wormer on dogs and cats??

I posted this in the pet section too, didn't know where it would belong [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] . Talked to someone that uses generic equine ivermectin on thier cats and dogs to worm. Has anyone heard or done this? I have some left over too, but worried it might not be safe........ [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: Use equine wormer on dogs and cats??

I wouldn't use it unless it said for cats & dogs
    "Old Enough To Know Better,Young Enough To Learn" [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hello, my collie ate horse manure after I wormed my horse with invermectin and it poisoned him. I ended up with a vet bill just under $900 to save him. This was also with me bringing him home and looking after him with IV and all. I have been told that Invermectin has been used in small doses to treat heart worm in dogs, however dogs that have collie in them and quite possibly some other breeds cannot have invermectin in any shape or form. My advice would be to use a wormer designed to treat worms in dogs.

We us it on our German shepards. One click is 100 lbs. So we do the horses and Pony then give the dogs some of what was left for the pony.

I have heard of dogs dieing or getting sick but that has always been from an overdose. A horse gets 10-12 times what a large dog gets.

Steve

Hi Opie,

I have been doing it for years. I use Ivomec or other generic ivermectin 1% solution. 1/10 cc per 10 pounds of body weight given orally, once a month. A 100 pound dog equals 1 cc. It is pretty bitter, so I usually squirt it from my syringe onto a piece of bread, and then slather both sides of the bread with mayo. They love it. Some dog breeds I have read may have some adverse reactions to ivermectin. I am not sure about your breed.
    I have never given it to the cats...
    "If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Katrinaville LA west of Westwego east of Ama south of River Ridge north of Boutte, above sea level

As one of my businesses involves heartworm prevention in dogs using generic ivermectin, I have spent thousands of hours researching this topic over the last 30 years. I have consulted with many vets and scientists on this topic over the years. I am sure I know 10 times more about this one topic than the average veterinarian and I am amazed at the amount of false information on this subject on the internet.

It seems that anyone who has given a dog X amount of ivermectin of any brand, type, concentration or mixture, without having the dog die instantly on them, now considers themselves an expert on the subject and is willing to recommend their dosage of this particular item to others.

Many types of ivermectin wormers have additional ingredients that are not recommended for usage in dogs for various reasons. It is nearly impossible to measure an ivermectin paste horse wormer in the small amount that would be used for heartworm prevention in a dog. Everyone with any knowledge of wormers who uses ivermectin for heartworm prevention in their dogs instead of Heartgard uses 1% injectable cattle Ivomec or the generic equivalent. Among those who use this for heartworm prevention, most use far too much, making this usage more expensive than it should be while being toxic to the dog at the same time.

Before Heartgard was researched and tested for years and then approved by the FDA, vets had been using Ivomec for heartworm prevention in dogs and most mixed 9 parts propylene glycol to 1 part Ivomec and then gave a 40 pound dog 1 cc of this mix. After Merial finished their research, they found that this was far more than necessary and that overdoses that don't kill dogs immediately usually build up in the dog's liver and kidneys and cause irreversible damage to them over a period of time. This is why you frequently hear people say " the dose I gave my dog was safe and he lived for 5 years before he eventually died of old age with kidney disease".

To try to make a long story short, if you want to use a cheaper heartworm preventative than Heartgard, it is possible but please get your fact straight and use the correct ingredients. Use 1% injectable cattle Ivomec and use propylene glycol. Do not use Ivomec plus. Do not use paste wormers. Do not mix with water, vegetable oil or other solutions because they are not intended for mixers. Propylene glycol IS the other 99% of 1% Ivomec.

Use the same heavily researched and tested formula that is in Heartgard tablets. You can find their formula by going to Merials website and researching it and doing your math. If you do your math correctly, you will find that a 30 pound dog should get about 1/40 cc of 1% Ivomec orally monthly. This amount is too small to be measured accurately and also too small to tell if the dog swallows all of it or not. This is why we mix it 1 cc Ivomec with 19 cc of propylene glycol and then give the dog 1/2 cc of this mixture.

If anyone needs more info on this subject or wants to know where to purchase the premixed formula, they may email me with their questions.

hartzvalley@mail.com

tallyho8, I think you made your case very well indeed. Off label use of some ag chemicals is a technical violation of Federal law. It may be a victimless crime but maybe not something to shout about in public places. You and the Government guy or the extension agent need to trust each other in these areas.

I don't know how using cow stuff on dogs goes legally as I have only used it on cows but if I had a dog, I'd be following your instructions carefully, quietly, and with thankfulness for your assistance.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I have used the 1% ivermectin on my dogs for years. No problems. If you can buy enough to kill 20 dogs for 30 bucks, there is now way that one pill could be 7 bucks. They companies just want to rip off the comsumers.

I have used Ivomec 1% Injection for Cattle and Swine for many years on many dogs with no problems. I measure the Ivomec in a Tuberculin syringe which can accurately measure dosages from .05CC to 1.0 CC. I give orally .1CC per 10 LB body weight once a month March through October. I squirt it into their mouths directly with the Tuberculin syringe without the needle. My dogs don't like it, but they are used to it.

Any heartworm medicine is serious poison that kills heartworms and will kill the dog if overdosed. The trick is to kill the heartworms without killing the dog. Any heartworm medicine administered monthly kills adolescent heartworms before they can grow enough to cause problems. Heartworm medicine should not be given to a dog that already has a significant heartworm infestation.

Ivermectin in collies

Ivermectin is used in dogs and cats regularly for a variety of conditions, and yes, some collies and collie mixes are susceptible to poisoning. Your dogs can be tested for hypersensitivity to the drug before use. Also, as long as you use the proper dose it is safe to use ivermectin made for equines/sheep, etc in your cats and dogs and you can save a fortune, but you MUST Do some research for correct dosing. If you're at all unsure just go with your vets advice.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerchick View Post
    Hello, my collie ate horse manure after I wormed my horse with invermectin and it poisoned him. I ended up with a vet bill just under $900 to save him. This was also with me bringing him home and looking after him with IV and all. I have been told that Invermectin has been used in small doses to treat heart worm in dogs, however dogs that have collie in them and quite possibly some other breeds cannot have invermectin in any shape or form. My advice would be to use a wormer designed to treat worms in dogs.