Thread: Micro Hydro

Micro Hydro

Hello,

I am new to this site but have been lurking here a few times.
    I was wondering If anyone here has any experience with micro hydro units? I have a very nice stream that runs through my propertry and I want to put one of these units in to power my home.
    I live on top of a mountain and i considered wind power but the wind doesn't alway blow and thew cost would have been roughly $25,000.
    The micro hydro units I have been looking at are roughly $5,000 and make power 24/7.
    Doers anyone have a micro hydro plant ? If so , how do you like it? thanks.

Re: Micro Hydro

IF you aren't familiar with "Home Power" magazine, I suggest you procure and read a few. They also have a web presence. They have very informative writeups on various installations including all suppliers and a system diagram. Of course they also cover solar heat, solar electric, and wind as well as biodiesel etc. A very good source of practical information.

Just curious what volume of water do you have and what is the usable head available, worst case?

My only personal experience is mini-micro hydro, just a hobby/toy size project but I have studied a bit with an eye toward a practical sized installation... b u t... alas I found a wonderful property with littel or no hydro potential.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat. I have looked at that website many times. I have around 150-175 gpm for flow and probably around 60 ft of head. I could get more but it would require more penstock($) My flow REALLY shoots up in the spring I would say to around 225-250 but in the summer months it drops to around 75-100.

I have been checking out various sites, microhydropower.net has a low head unit that might work for you. Thnaks for the reply.

Goggle the term "Banke Turbine". It would certainly be the easiest to construct. It uses the water twice, but because it isn't a percision machine is only about 80% efficient. The biggest challenge is the speed, which will need to be closely controlled at 60 cycles per second. I don't have one, but worked in some small hydro plants. You'll want to forget little numbers like gallons and learn to think in cubic feet per second. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    A man's likely to mind his own business, if it is worth mindin' - Eric Hoffer