Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water heater won't stay lit

Water heater won\'t stay lit

Cold shower certainly wakes you up but makes the morning shave painfull. This is a three year old GE gas heater. It will stay lit for 3, 4, maybe 10 days then go out usually in the middle of the night. Thermocouples that I've replaced over the years always just went out and wouldn't stay lit at all. Could this be a failing TC or what else could it be?

Re: Water heater won\'t stay lit

To me, the fact that it is a GE, says it all. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    But, besides that, it could be the thermocouple or the pilot light is adjusted too small and not heating the thermocouple enough to keep the valve open. It could be the gas supply.
    And it could be that it is a GE. I avoid them like the plague anymore. Have had too many 'short term' GE appliances in my past (that is they only last for a short term). [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I finally realized my problem began when I had my roof re-shingled last month. Went on the roof and smelled and wiggled the vent, looked in the attic, then pulled the vent pipe loose at the heater and there lay a fist-sized dirtdobber nest. Don't know why that would cause it to shutdown or blowout but so far its stayed lit and the flame looks much better.

Glad you found the problem. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Interesting! I've never had anything GE that wasn't terrific!

But then, I've never had GE major appliances, just electronics.

It was out again this morning. I've replaced the thermocouple and cleaned the pilot jet. I'm gonna peer down inside the tank part of the vent tonight. Then all that's left is the control box ($). If that's the problem on a 3yo unit I won't be happy with GE either.

Gas supply pressure? Anything else in the house that runs on gas and could cause the water heater to be starved, like the furnace kicking on during the night?

This is the only gas appliance operating this time of year. I've reamed out my pilot orifice to where I have a 6" flame at the pilot. Now it stays lit but this can't be efficient or safe. I'm probably going to turn this tank into a yard decoration and replace it with a quality on-demand heater.

GE customer service was completely worthess even though I had six more years warranty on the parts. Still would have to pay the @$100 service call price to get an certified moron to show up.

Yeah, a 6" pilot flame might be a tad on the long side [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] .

I'm leaning towards an on demand system myself. For me it's the space savings of having a wall mounted unit. I was looking at the 2-use models. The price tag tells me that they're proud of them, but if they last 10- 20 years that's alright.

That 6" flame should keep you in hot water all by itself. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sure sounds like the thermocouple isn't staying hot enough, or in the right place, or something. Sure solidifies my opinion and experience with GE products - including refrigerators, kitchen range, air conditioners, microwave oven, coffee pot, et al. I avoid them like the plague any more (and have to be careful that they are not the suppliers to such names as Amana too) [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]