Thread: blight in tomatos

blight in tomatos

I usually deal with a lot of blight in my tomato crop. Any suggestions on how to prevent it or get rid of it.

Re: blight in tomatos

I'm not sure about the definition of blight, but my sister swears by Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) as a remedy and preventive for blossom end rot, among other things, in tomatoes. I lost virtually all my tomatoes last year to that and some creeping black crud, so this year I am feeding Epsom salt whenever I give the babies any fertilizer. I looked at the difference between Miracle Grow for tomatoes and the regular formula, and magnesium was one of the additions. If you have or get an actual fungal infection going in your tomatoes, there are anti-fungal pesticides which are labelled for use on vegetables. I would probably use one of those if my tomatoes looked like they were going south, but many folks might be afraid of such chemicals. Fungal cells are a lot like our own, and if it kills a fungus it's probably not all that good for you either.

Chuck

Nah. People get yeast infections and the stuff that kills yeast is very safe for people.

I recently read that baking soda is a natural fungicide. Don't remember where I read it and don't know if it's true, but you sure won't hurt anything by trying it. Maybe dust it on?

Yeast are usually grouped with the fungi. I don't know of anything that kills yeast (or any other of the fungi) that I would care to ingest in significant amounts. Wait a minute....brewers yeast is strongly inhibited by high ethanol concetrations and I have no problem with ethanol! On the other hand, I suspect that sprinkling your tomatoes with Smirnoff would be unlikely to result in healthier plants. Might make a good start on a bloody Mary though.

Chuck

That's probably because yeast IS a fungus. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] "There's a fungus among us!"

Diflucan is very effective at killing yeast in humans, but even this 'very careful about chemicals prefer natural remedies' type can't find much to object to with Diflucan.

Oddly, yeast can cause an amazing variety of unpleasant symtoms, yet it's pretty easy to get rid of once you know it's there.

Smirnoff on the tomatoes? Hmmm. Maybe you should trade recipes with the guy over on Tractorbynet who puts whiskey in his hot tub. Who knows what you'd come up with? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Talk about your foliar feeding! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

From a site trying to sell the stuff:

Diflucan does have an increased risk of side effects in comparison with its cream counterparts. In studies, the most common side effects associated with Diflucan were:

headache
    nausea
    abdominal pain
    To prevent heart-related complications, do not take Diflucan if also taking Propulsid. In rare instances, serious allergic reactions and effects on the liver have occurred.

But, yep, I suppose it is relatively safe. On the other hand, the various Cox2 inhibitors were also supposed to be safe. One of the things I decided after spending a goodly amount of time isolating natural products from fungi with the goal of finding potential pharmaceuticals was that one could never assume any drug would only affect its supposed "target".

I use pesticides in my garden when I feel the need, and I have used fungicides on vegetables. Some of them are relatively nasty chemicals. That's about all I was trying to point out.

Chuck

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    <font color="blue">On the other hand, the various Cox2 inhibitors were also supposed to be safe.</font color>

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmm. Good point.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    <font color="blue">One of the things I decided after spending a goodly amount of time isolating natural products from fungi with the goal of finding potential pharmaceuticals was that one could never assume any drug would only affect its supposed "target". </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are wiser than most in that industry, methinks! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]