Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil pump idea

Oil pump idea

I want to build or make some type of oil pump to transfer used oil thru a by pass filter from one container to another.

I've seen some oil pumps, but for several hundred dollars... Looking for ideas for a cheaper setup.

Any Idea's ?

Re: Oil pump idea

I recently built what I call an oil "slurpee". It is a five-gallon Jeep can on a base with a 12V pump mounted to the base. I use it to slurp the oil out of the drain pans and pump it into the jeep can. When the jeep can is full it goes into the 55-gal barrel my neighbor has for his oil-burning shop heater. I bought the pump from SURPLUS CENTER in Nebraska. They have oodles of different kinds of oil transfer pumps; different voltages and different pressures. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Handyman,

Depends on how much work you want to do. There are manual pumps, but I suppose they could get pretty boring. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If I'm understanding you, you want to transfer dirty oil from 1 drum to another, filtering it as you go. If cleanliness is critical, wouldn't a bypass pump be the wrong type? If the filter became clogged, a valve would open and dirty oil would bypass the filter and go directly into the clean drum. Am I thinking right?

Check out the Northern Tools catalog for ideas. Prices run from budget-friendly to downright hostile.

Dave I would be interested in how you built it ...

I was talking about taking used oil and pumping it thru a truck bypass filter as its transfered to another container

Thanks to the Northern tool idea... I think I have found what I have been looking for....

This pump piped
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...71&R=47671

into this filter
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...14&R=24414

then to a tank...

So how thick is the oil and how much of a hurry are you in?? There are a couple really low cost options. Gravity as in a syphon. It would help to elevate the source tank above the destination tank to get more head of pressure to help push it through a filter.

Idea 2: make the connecton to the receiving tank air tight and connect a shop vac to the drum's other bung by way of a heavy wall but clear tube. The vacuum on the receiving tank will pull the oil out of the supply tank and have enough suction to spare to pull it through a filter. You need a float switch to shut off the vac or not leave it unatended toward the end of the run.

Transfer pumps aren't cheap and wont vacuum up the shop. Spending the $ on a vac serves a couple needs.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

OK, I guess I need to explain what I want to do...

I want to be able to change my oil in my semi truck, pump the oil thru a by pass filter (to clean the oil) and pump it into my fuel taks to mix in with the diesel...

We're talking 10 gals mixed in with 200 gals of fuel (might even mix in less over a longer period). Since diesel and oil will mix well... this will give me 10 gals of fuel every 6-8 weeks. It will eliminate me having to worry about disposing with the used oil... not to mention extra lub to the top end of the motor.

Handyman; Your post interests me. Do you know of anyone that has done this? In theory it sounds good. I'm just wondering about the injectors and pump. Like you it seems, I'm tired of paying for someone else to make more money out of my used oil. Kinda makes you think your paying double. I don't have a deisel that holds 10 gallons, but I have one that holds 15 quarts. Plus my little NH TC35DA, thats another 5 quarts. I'd be interested in seeing any kind of test results on doing something like this. Got any leads? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

The real trick here is filtration. That's why Handyman was searching for an excellent filter. Even the most minute particles would accelerate wear on the injectors.

Another consideration is the ratio. It isn't very practical is you have a small diesel tank. If you have a larger tank and some real diesel hogs, you can use the oil up at a very lean ratio and still get rid of it. Someone like me for example (who buys 20 gallons of fuel at a time) would have trouble getting rid of it. I would have to mix it at maximum ratios, and that would make maximum injector wear and maximum exhaust stink.

Johnday....

Yes I have seen this setup when I was a company driver yrs ago...
    The key thing was (as said) filtration... thus the "By Pass" filter. This filter will filter the oil down to around 3 mircons and some down to 1 micron, removing water, fuel and minerals...

Todays diesel fuels are lacking the sulfer that was once used to lubricate cylinder top ends, but thanks to the EPA... a lot of lubercates are being removed from diesel fuel.

I'm not looking at this to polute , but rather to enhance and utilize potential fuel.