Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil pump idea

Re: Oil pump idea

Dave; At LONG LAST!!!! Someone less computer friendly than me!! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I think I've got a handle on the Frantz unit, now that I went to their website. After working with powerplant equipment and trucks and heavy equipment, I'm kind of embarassed to admit I really didn't know what a bypass filter really was. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I 'll send you a PM with my FAX number for a drawing of the slurpie. Thank you much. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You'll notice that the FRANTZ filter setup utilizes a 1/16" orifice in the oil supply to the TP filter. If you don't use that small orifice, the oil that is being by-passed can actually lower the idle oil pressure on engines that might already suffer from low idle oil pressure..........like the early model Detroit Diesels for example. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave you have mail...

You know, this gives me an idea [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

In the old days, truckers used to use paper towels in a oil refiner.
    My concern is volume... I'll need to move oil at a reasonable rate... another words I don't want to take all day to pump 10 gals [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] on the contrary.......you DO want to take all day to pump ten gallons....through the toilet paper filter that is. You'll need to run the oil slowly so it can filter and then when all the oil has transferred to the "clean" barrel, you pump it into the Pete with a barrel pump.....hand crank.....just like we have used for years. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] So.....you have a barrel for waste oil......out of that barrel you use a tiny transfer pump like a pump from a discarded oil burning furnace......the little pump pushes the oil thru the TP filter......into the "clean" barrel......that barrel has wheels under it and a barrel pump on it so you can pump it into the tanks on that Mack. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Well I think I found the solution to my problem on eBay of all places...

Its a complete oil pump w/filter system for $245 from a company out of watertown SD
    A little more than I wanted to invest, but by the time I figure in my time and fabricate everything to fit.. I would have this much invested.
    They have 110v or 12v (for a few dollars more)

Oil Transfer pump

Handyman; CJDave and I have been PMing a few times about this. What do you think of using a hydrofilter housing off a parted out CUT? I'm not sure what the micron size is, but it appears to be what I may try. Sometimes I get kinda cheap. Dave faxed me the drawing of his slurpee, and it look like I could adapt it. That's a nice setup you found. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Is a Ten Micron filter fine enough for filtering oil that will be going into the fuel tanks to be burned? I thought we needed to be down around three microns? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I just saw a small pump in SURPLUS CENTER catalog that would be perfect, and now that you guys have got me thinking about this I am going to buy that pump, and make a setup like you have shown here but I'll use a homemade Toilet Paper filter. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, You can use a 3 micron filter with this setup. My Cummins N14 uses a 10 mircon fuel filter (standard).
    You can never filter something too much, but there is a fine line between being effective and being obsessive [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Just a side note:......in a maintenance seminar that I attended it was brought out that a FIVE MICRON OR SMALLER filter will strain out many of the additive packages that modern oils have. That's why the toilet paper filters went out of vogue. If the engine is a modern high-stress, high heat, high pressure mill, it needs those additive packages. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave