Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil pump idea

Re: Oil pump idea

Handyman; I'm thinking. If you were to mount 2 filters in series, say a 3 micron first, then a 1 micron, basically a polisher, that seems like you'd get good filtration. Also, how about a separator ahead of the 3 micron? I think I might be getting too elaborate here, but I'm interested in this.

Also, a bypass filter? I'm not sure I follow you. If the bypass filter got plugged, wouldn't it tend to bypass dirty oil?

Remember, dilution is the solution to pollution. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have kind of been away from this thread for a while, but HERE IS THE ANSWER to what you want to do. Use the toilet paper filter setup to filter that oil. It's inexpensive and will remove EVERYTHING.....including any additive package that is in the oil. Back in da fifties, these filters were quite common, and I had them on several rigs, both gas and diesel. They will turn black diesel oil clear in about three hours of engine time. I have one on my tractor right now because it sat for years and needs a good cleanup. If you cannot find one to buy, I can send you a sketch that would show you how to make one. You could use a tiny gear pump to push the oil.....so what if it takes four hours. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I have seen diesel trucks serviced with a van equipped with the oil filtering setup right in the van and the oil was pumped into the fuel tanks. They always had the trucks topped up on fuel when they did that, however, for dilution. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Handy, I think I would be looking for a SUPER filter or a centrifuge (old cream separator???) or some way to remove contamination. Injector pumps are expensive and DO NOT LIKE PARTICULATE CONTAMINATION. Any convenience or savings might be offset by injection system woes later, a bad trade.

You might want to do some pH testing as well at least on one batch to be sure it isn't out of whack.

Is there a reason why you wouldn't use diesel fuel filters to filter the oil? I used to have a set of Fram filters (two canisters in series) with each somewhat larger than a quart jar. I know there are larger units that wold have longer cartridge life and less back pressure. You could use a positive displacement pump, maybe gear type. If speed wasn't a consideration, after the first pass you could recirculate the filtrate in a closed loop not unlike the fuel system on your rig.

Good luck,

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

John,

I'm with you on the bypass filtration (as opposed to full, or forced filtration). All the oil should be filtered. Not even a little oil should get into the "clean" tank unless it has been filtered.

You guys are correct in your thoughts, however your not focusing on what "I'M" talking about...

I will be filtering 100% of the oil thru a bypass filter that will clean the oil down to 3 microns... A ByPass filter is a "OIL" filter.
    A bypass system on a truck will direct 5%-10% of the oil, but with what I am wanting to do is filter 100% of the oil. thru the filter.

Another thing that some of you don't realize is that trash that is in fuel that is pumped right out of the ground into your tank... as big as 30 microns is being pumped into our fuel tanks... 7 mirons is the worst in damaging injectors.

Cat filters clean fuel down to 3 microns
    Cummins 10 microns
    Detroit ???

So what I will be doing will be cleaning the oil cleaner than the fuel that is being used in my truck.
    Besides, I don't change oil but every 6-8 weeks... I'm not looking to supliment my fuel supply daily or even weekly, just to utilize the used oil.

I needed some type of pump and a oil filter housing to allow me to use a bypass oil filter without it costing me an arm or a leg...
    It doesn't matter if its 12v DC or 110v AC
    I would like to see design ideas for home made units as well.

The TP idea is a nice idea, but what kind of canister would I use to force the oil thru the TP ?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm glad to see that you are open to the idea of using toilet paper to do this job. That, in my humble oil-filtering opinion, is the ONLY economical way to meet the criteria of this oil reclamation project and not incur a huge debt from equipment purchases. Not only first-cost, but subsequent costs of filters would be a significant factor if you go to any factory made element. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There are two things that you need to do in order to use the TP as a filter: First you will need to stuff it into a "can" which holds it's outside shape and integrity. The next thing you need to do is provide a way to spread the incoming oil over the round face of the roll and push it lengthwise between the sheets. Then a similar setup to gather the oil as it comes out of the sheets. I once used a CYLINDER SLEEVE out of a tractor engine to make a TP oil filter when cash was short and need was great. JC Whitney had them for years in their catalogs. The by-pass add-on filter I have on my John Deere was made by an outfit called SKY INDUSTRIES, located on the West Coast.....I think....I found it in a wrecking yard. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I could send you a sketch so you could have one made or build one yourself. If you would like a sketch just e-mail me at: davickie@netins.net [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I remember seeing the Frantz TP oil filters years ago. Apparently they are still around. Check out their web site for ideas.
    Frantz

SimS

Handy; Guess I didn't know what a bypass filter was [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] . So using the bypass filter like YOU mentioned, would probably work. Have you come up with something yet? I'm interested in finding out more about what you're up to with this. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

CJDave; Would you mind PMing me with what you've come up with? Or better yet, post it for all to admire. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Are you interested in the "oil slurpee" that I built or the Toilet Paper oil filter? That website for FRANTZ filters is the place to go to get a TP unit. Those look exactly like the one I have on my tractor. I met JOHN FRANTZ personally several times in the late fifties; his shop was about ten miles from where I grew up in the Central Valley of CA near Modesto.******** I have this huge computer with all the bells and whistles but I have never actually learned how to operate everything. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I can FAX a drawing but my scanner has never actually worked so e-mailing is a problem. Somehow the software seems to evaporate after I install it, and then that's it for the scanner. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I would be glad to send you a drawing of the "slurpee".
    CJDave