Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smoking Meat

Re: Smoking Meat

Now what do one do when they live on the Bald Prairie and the only wood available is good old POPLAR or perhaps some WILLOW ??

I was always under the impression that removing the bark got rid of all the little things that try and live on a cellulose fiber! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Re: Smoking Meat

Yes pulling off the bark pretty well gets rid of the critters [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Never tried poplar or willow. Surprised they grow on the grassland cause they both are water lovers. Poplar should be a bit sweeter than willow. I'm thinking if it were me and let's pretend I know nothing about smoking with either, cause I don't, I think I would try their dried leaves and branches before anything else. They are both deciduous (spelling) and will have their sap concentrated in their dried leaves and that is what will affect the smoke flavor so might as well find out right off whether sor not it will be any good. If that doesn't work then I guess we find a mountain to climb or import!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Phil Foreman
    aka CPL Kass Irons, CSA
    Company Cook Mosby's Raiders
    www.ohiocampcooks.org