Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rejuvenating pasture

Rejuvenating pasture

Now that I've beaten back the Multi-Flora Rose, and started bush-hogging the pastures on a regular basis, I'm curious what my options are for improving them. They've been neglected for about 11 or 12 years, and have the usual mixture of weeds, poison ivy, and general uglyness. In the areas where I've mowed for the last 2 summers there has been a nice changeover to grass and white clover. We are considering some sheep, possibly a cow or two, hopefully next year.

Other than mowing what should I consider?

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Re: Rejuvenating pasture

Cultivate and pant what you think is proper for your area.

Egon

You can get a soil test done to see if the soil needs any fertilizing or anything else added to it to get it balanced ph wise.

I went to my local feed store/grain mill and bought some of what they recommended for pasture mix for our area and overseeded that, then stirred it in with a chain harrow. Our pastures are starting to look real nice, the same effect you are seeing with the grass and clover taking over from the weeds and brush.

I would like to find a source for a "native" grass seed mix, I would like to mix some of that in as well.

We have a couple horses and a few head of cattle, the chain harrow is real handy for dragging the pastures and breaking the manure clumps up.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    "native" grass seed mix,

[/ QUOTE ]

Do a search using those terms or prairie grass and you will get lots of hits. Be warned its expensive. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The prairie grass will not do well if it's mowed all the time.

Egon

Read Charles Walter's book on "Weeds" or either "Eco-Farm".
    Both books diagnose what the presence of certain weeds are telling you about your soil deficiency.

We had them all in a field that was row cropped and then left to go fallow. After years of fertilizer and no lime, the weeds let us know what we needed and the soil test confirmed it.
    We plowed in 4.5 tons/acre of lime and then planted fescue, orchard grass and clover. The only place weeds remain are in the spots at the edge where the lime truck missed them.

We never used herbicides and the neighbors cows break out to come eat our hay. I consider that a great compliment.

Our next soil adventure will be to start using some sea salts to boost the trace minerals in the soil. See http://www.seaagri.com/

" Weeds " is a broad term. Many plants we think of as weeds have benificial effects on the soil or could actually be used as food for ourselves or wildlife.

Identifiying soil conditions by plant growth is a great idea.

Egon

Plow, Harrow and then plant in native grasses.
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Can't say it enough. Get a soil test done. Thats your starting point. See your extension and ask what is best to plant.

Dick

I totally agree with you icandoanyting. I can't believe I forgot to put that!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

WOW, I love to read posts like yours. Too many folks, in my opinion, think that the way to control/eradicate weeds is by the routine application of herbicides. You know the real truth… regular mowing is just as effective and much better for the environment. I think that a few farm critters would complement your progress, provided you don’t overgraze the pastures. What about a free-range flock of Guinea Fowl too (for insect control)?