Thread: Am I dreamin'

Am I dreamin\'

While in the big city today (OKC) to exchange a gas log F/P damaged in shipment, with no prompting from me my wife took a healthy interest in a some good looking gas grills wth rotisseries and such. I was amazed at how favorably she was looking at units in the above $500 category. I have never bought a gas grill. Had a used one given to me once. I have always bought charcoal grills about 20-30% up from the bottom, pretty basic units.

I have a serious deficiency in knowledge as to price versus features and quality. How much do folks have to spend to get a decent unit with a good warranty/lifetime. I am not impressed with brands, just price-performance ratios. I know a bit about features but would appreciate a few comments/pointers.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Am I dreamin\'

Pat: wish I could help but my grill consists of an odd shaped piece of expanded metal, bricks/rocks and any dry firewood that can be found.

Have even used a slate rock for frying eggs and bacon.

Those fancy gas jobs just work to fast. No time to relax while getting the coals to the proper state!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Pat,

I have a Weber Genesis three burner gas grill that I've used for about six years or so. The three burners are seperated front to back. So If I want to cook using indirect heat I shut off the middle burner. I think a grill with the burners set left/right allows better use of indirect cooking space.

I also regret not having a rear mounted burner for use with the spit. Where the heat is behind the food rather than underneath. Perhaps the units you are looking at have that feature?

I did replace the "flavorizer bars" last year as they were looking pretty bad.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I got a Brinkman stainless grill this year that I am pleased with so far. It has four main burners, a side burner, and a rotisserie burner in back. It came with the rotisserie unit, but no tank and no cover, and it wasn't assembled. The units in the big box stores are usually assembled, and some come with a cover, and I think that was largely the difference in what I paid, $399 at Ace hardware, and their prices. However, I also note that some of the pricier units have more stainless steel than this one. The top, extensions, and doors are stainless, but the sides of the base are painted steel. The Charbroils I looked at were basically all stainless. However, to get four burners, a side burner, and the rotisserie unit and burner, I would have been above $500 for any other unit I saw. I don't know about the relative merits of things like cast iron burners vs cast brass, for instance. Check with me in a few years.

Chuck