Thread: Rusty panels, coat with bed liner spray ??

Rusty panels, coat with bed liner spray ??

I have a few metal panels on the front side of my barn that the previous owner had put dirt/sod up a few inches. The moisture and acidity of the soil has rusted the panels in a few spots. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to spray truck bed liner plastic on metal panels before? I am planing on masking off the bottom 4 inches, sanding, and then coating the panel bottoms with about an 1/8" of bedliner. In the future, when I pour a pad in front of the two main doors, I will be laying felt up against this 'liner' before I pour up against the siding. What 'cha think ?

Re: Rusty panels, coat with bed liner spray ??

I've never done it, but IF you get ALL the rust off the panels, sounds like a great idea to me.

Before you spray on the bedliner material, you might consider treating the panels with one of the rust conversion coatings. These convert rusty steel or iron to a more stable form.

This explains how it works: http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Met...-converter.htm

And here's some information on POR-15 http://www.por15.com/faq.asp
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I asked about POR 15 at the body shop when I picked up my car the other day...they had nothing but good things to say about the product...well, except for the price!