Thread: Chain fall in garage

Chain fall in garage

I have a 24' x 24' garage with truses on 24" centers. Any ideas on the best way to hang a 1/2 ton chain fall? I only need it to lift my garden tractor for repair and deck cleaning. I thought about using a track like the ones for sliding barn doors but didn't know which way to run it or support it. Wouldn't want to hurt the garage or myself.

Re: Chain fall in garage

Here is what I did. I used some scrap steel that was laying around, took 1 hour and works great for me. I mostly built it to take the fifth wheel hitch out of my truck, but have found it real handy for other stuff, later, Nat http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...l/Jul03-01.jpg

Hey Telephoneman,
    You might use a door slider if it's heavy gage steel. Although I wouldn't attach it to the bottom cord of your trusses but run it between, parrallel. And if you mounted it to a 2x10 x14, (can also use double 2x10s ) stretched across from side wall (beefed up with additional 2xs and support other end with tall screw jack like used under joists. (A 2x10 is stronger then a 4x6) Support the chain fall from a slider on rail or use 1/2" or better rebar and weld a closed loop strap to either hook on or chain to..... Years ago I used a 4x4 and 2x6 stacked with good results lifting a Model A Ford body.
    Be careful, and God bless.
    rg

Normally a good place to hang a 'weight' on a truss is from the peak. There weight is supported by the truss rafters, which are held from moving out by the bottom chord in tension. I have put rods in from the peak to the bottom chords and hung tracks from them, perpendicular to the trusses and held by each truss.
    Hope that makes sense.

If your garage has no ceiling in it (open trusses) put a 4x4 across 4 or 5 of the trusses and hang your chain fall in the middle your not talking a lot of weight [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]