Thread: Replacement dog

Replacement dog

I mentioned on TBN that it was time to put our good old Belgian Sheep dog down after 14 great years. We only get rescue/pound/lost dogs so in keeping with that theme we have started looking at rescue Australian Shepherds in our area to replace him now that he is gone.

Are there any things with that breed that we need to be aware of? I know about the blindness and deafness and that they can have hip problems. No need to work cattle so we are really looking for a good, honest, nice companion dog that we can take with us to horse shows and help keep our 2 year old lab mutt company.

Anything we might expect from a 2+ year old dog?

Thanks,
    Mark

Re: Replacement dog

Hello mfaley, Am not an expert by any stretch of imagination but I have read and heard that the Aust Shepards are great compainion dogs and will really baby sit what ever YOU got! Was considering a border collie and after research, decided Aust Shepard had same great qualities as border collies and LESS of other qualities as in constant motion and bacisly working/herding all the time! I think that's a good choice!!! 2 BTW's I haven't gotten my replacement dog yet, just not ready & if YOU get a chance research BOXERS, they are great!!!!

Thanks for the info and I agree with what you say about the difference between an Aussie and a Border Collie. I guess that is why we have been looking at them.

We thought about Boxers also. In many ways they would probably be a better choice with the coats they have. I dont know much about thier personalities so I will look into them again.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Mark

Here in the Houston area there is a boxer rescue that is real good, I friend of mines wife is involved and was telling me about it! I can't remember the name, maybe Houston Boxer Rescue, maybe not, why not do a google search and see if YOU can find it! Those dogs are loyal, protective and very intelligent! Check them out!!!!

I can only speak from my expierience. I rescued a 9 month old Aussie Sheperd from the county shelter, about 14 years ago. She's outside the door wondering why I'm typing instead of letting her back in.

I got Sheba from the shelter. She was 9 months old. The shelter papers I got with her stated the previous owner did not think she belonged around children, and was hyper. I am of the conclusion that the previous owner was not prepared for a puppy.....

Sheba has been an AWESOME dog. She is well behaved, and great around kids. She is protective of my wife and son(chased a friend of mine in to the back of his truck when he dropped in just after my son was born). Nowdays, her teeth are worn, she has cataracts, and her hearing isn't the same. But, she's 15 years old too.

Things of note that I have found, some individual and some breed related. She is dreadfully afraid of sharp noises, like guns, thunder, fireworks. She had some issue with seizure a few years ago, and was on doggie downers for it. She has thick fur, that loves to grab stickers and burr's. We shave her in the summer, or else she is full of fox tails and burrs. She used to herd our son when he was infant to 5 years old or so(funny to watch her herding the kids).

She has been a great dog. I will seriously look at another when the times comes for another dog. Interesting, of the dogs my family had when I was growing up, and those I have had since, I really like the sheperds. We had two really great German Sheperds when I was a kid. I have no idea if there is a lineage connection to the Aussi sheperd.

I love Australian Shepherds, but I've only boarded and groomed females, so can't say much for the males. The statement about Border Collies rings pretty true in the males. The females I am familiar with are much calmer.
    Boxers are cool dogs, but they tend to carry more attitude with them and I don't find them to have as sweet a personality. Also, with the flews comes a little drool which some people don't like.

Aussie's are great dogs. I have owned them for years. They are VERY intelligent, easy to train and great companion dogs. Being intelligent, they require a strong master and can have a mind of their own. If you don't train them, they will train you. They are great around kids and enjoy being around people (very social). They definitely want to be part of the family. They need to be exercised daily as they have lots of energy and they just love to be outdoors. We take ours when ever we go for a walk or hike and they love it. They are also excellent watch dogs and will alert you if anything or any one shows up at the house. Being a herding dog, they stick close to home (and their family members) and will not wander off like hunting breeds. I suggest you contact a reputable breeder in your area to learn more about the breed. A breader can also put you in contact with Aussie rescue in your area if you prefer a rescue vs. pup.
    Good luck.

Thanks to all for the feedback. We have started looking at rescue dogs but, as of yet, have had no luck. We really liked one dog down the hill from us but our current lab mutt did not get along with him.

We are going to continue to look around expecting that they may be a bit high strung with thunder/lightening and be a sticker magnet. So far they seem like a pretty good choice although a shorter haired dog like a boxer is a temptation.

Thanks again,
    Mark