Thread: Filly with a hernia

Filly with a hernia

I was offered a 4 month old filly with an umbilical hernia probably about the size of a goose egg. I figure it is going to cost me about $600 or so to get it fixed. Just wanted to find out some info on the fillys bloodline. The sires bloodline is Doc o lena and Colonal Freckles and the dams bloodline is Peponita and Wonderbar . Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Filly with a hernia

Hello horseriderRO, I'm not a expert on bloodlines of any breed but have been around horses for a while and know Doc o Lena/Colonial Freckles boodline on Sire which has great horses out of them! Not familiar with other side but at a $600 repair YOU can't go wrong with a good family horse! Fix her up & I bet U'll have a ball raising her! Good LUCK! roho

I am with Roho. If she seems sound, talented and good minded then I would sure spend the money. I would only tend to use bloodlines as a general guideline and if I were I would sure look on the mothers side unless you had a surragate baby.

DocOlena, Colonel Freckles and Peponita have a strong reputation based on thier babies. Peponita has a good cutting stud called Mr Peponita Flow that also throws good babies that can cross over make good reiners. Doc O lena has Smart Chic Olena and they sure breed the heck out of him. Colonel Freckles also has a strong cross discipline group of babies.

To me, the biggest influence is the mother so if she was good minded then chances are yours will be too.

Best of luck and keep us posted on the outcome.
    Mark

Looks like her hernia will be fixed within the next 45 days depending on how she does with halter breaking and being taken away from mom. So well see!!! Thanks!

We are getting her hernia fixed once she is weaned from mom and halter broke. Actually doc came thru and gave me a better price too. Only reason I was wondering about bloodline is we would want to use her for cutting & team penning at our club and I knew about doc.. and freckles.. bloodline but not too much about others. Thanks so much for info!!

Hey horseriderRO, I'm gonna relate a story quickly about a World champion Stud owner! If "I'm not mistaken it was either Cutter Bill or a CutterBill bloodline! The owner was a woman, which at the time was unusual in it's self! Anyway magazine reporter ask lady , Why the horse was so great & her reply was that, HE never new what he was gonna be doing when he was taken out of the barn!" What she meant was that she did all types of things with him! Cutting, reining, penning ,roping, etc!!! Take it for what's it worth! I thought it was a good story anyway! I heard that years ago!!!

That is true enough and especially true the smarter and more talented the horse.

In my opinion, one of the best things you can do for any horse is to take it on trail rides. Good long walking pace trail rides that go up, down, over and through. Keeps them in good shape mentally and physically.

Regarding bloodlines, just remember that they are individuals and bloodlines are not a guarentee.

Post some pics if you can.
    Mark

hello mark, I never got into posting pics, tried but failed! So picture this a 14 /2 overweight bay paint mare born in 1989!, a what I call chocolate and white paint mare about 4 or 5 yrs old bout 15 hands?? and Ole Champ, a tall red(sorrel) bald face, 4 socks above the knees QH crop out with about the best attitude I have ever seen! I've got pic & will try to get them on somehow, How bout YOU!???
    I really beleive horse, dogs, etc are all individuals and the have good or bad personalities but I also believe that good bloodlines throw good traits!

Okay y'all I'm not really into bloodlines that much just figured since I'll be getting a filly with a hell of a bloodline (I'm told) that I could find out something about it. I mean I have a grade palomino mare that is a fantastic all around horse. We use her for barrels, poles, team penning, trails and on our cows. She spins on a dime and is a great horse ( except for that wonderful mare attitude!!!) and the same goes for our rescued TB. It's a sight to see that big boy after the cows. This will be the first "papered" horse that I will own. I'm not sure if it will make any difference, we'll see. Once I get to mess with her a bit I'll post a pic.

Hi Roho, I think we are in agreement. I just tend to over react to the whole bloodline conversation. My wife used to work at the Snafflebit auction and some of those guys could debate for hours. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    I tell you, Ol Champ sounds like my kind of horse!

I am picture challenged but I do have a picture of my wife at a show on her good horse Cliff. (I know the moderators are going to get after me for the link) http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/d...536_-thumb.jpg

HorseriderRO, I think you have a great opportunity. Have fun with the process.

Mark