Thread: Tandem Kayaks

Tandem Kayaks

Was looking for a single seater kayak until my oldest boy tried kayaking in a tandam with Dad. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Now we're looking at tandem kayaks. My first choice so far is a Wilderness system Palimaco 135T. The forward seat adjust to center so you can go solo too. My second choice is a Perception tandam. Anyone here have any experiance with kayaks? With a kayak this long would a rudder be usefull? It's an upgrade to the kayak of course.
    Thanks for any input.
    Take care!

Re: Tandem Kayaks

Surely wished I'd have your problem on choosing a kayak. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Have done some canoeing but no kayaking. Assumming you have a touring type in mind it seem the rudder would be a welcome accessory.

Egon

Yep! It's a big problem. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Looks like I'll get less tractor time this summer then last. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] An the wood for next years sugaring season is'nt done ether. Well I'll just have to put it in overdrive and knock it out this weekend.
    Thanks for the input and have a great day!

With length comes directional stability. Sometimes too much and manuvering gets too hard. I assume this is touring and not white water thrils. Get the rudder, you'll like it.

I even had an inflatable tandam kayak. You could either use the second position for cargo, in which case the inflatable seat and seat back were used as a cover to keep out water, or for a second person. My wife and I had years of fun with ours. For a while we used it as a yacht tender before we bought a nice Avon Redcrest.

Inflatable kayaks are neat and can do a lot of things, but surfing doesn't seem to be one of them. I tried very hard for a while to surf the kayak and I know what clothes feel like in a front loader washer. We have sucessfully surfed our 17 ft aluminum canoe never swamping it but I NEVER got a decent ride surfing the inflatable kayak. You can't inflate them hard enough to maintain structural integrity and they fold in the middle as the wave begins to pick you up and you start to slide down its face... then end over end till you hit the beach.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Alan, I inherited a SEA TWO 2 seater with rudder and gear and haven't even thought about trying it out. Don't have much time for this type of recreation... It's just taking up space . I don't really know much about them maybe you could give me an idea of what its worth? If I was to go to sell I would want to give someone a fair deal.

Well picked up our new kayak. We chose a Palmico 135T with rudder. Everyone loves it. My wife an I had our 18th anniversary dinner in it on one of our big lakes. She loves being paddled around the lake as long as I don't sing to her. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The boys love it and want to go every day now. Big bonus is less T.V. and computer time for the boys. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Most of the new ones went for between $600 and $1200 for the kayaks. Paddles and Pfd were around $400. Didn't ever see that brand you have up here.
    Take care.

Its made by wilderness systems I believe, But thanks for the ball park figure. Sounds like your really going to enjoy yours.

We only have a pond on our property,which is plenty big enough to give it a whirl ,to see if we would like to find a large body of water paddle around in.

A couple rivers nearby and there's always the "chesapeake bay" [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]