Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pickup Trucks? Any suggestions for my situation?

Re: My post about TRUCKS and hauling horses

Thanks to all of you for tackling the issue. Everyone's commentary has been valuable and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your collective wisdom, both at this site and at my posting in the "Pets" section.

Much of your feedback centered around the safety issues to consider when hauling horses. I have learned a lot and who knows, perhaps your combined feedback will in the end, spare me and my family from having a terrible accident down the road.

Take care folks. This web site is a great public forum!

Kent & Lynn Wiles
    Portland, OR [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: My post about TRUCKS and hauling horses

Just another vote for getting at least a 3/4 ton... There are few complaints that someones truck is too powerful or too easily pulls a loaded trailer or too easily carries a heavy load. As regards frequency of use under severe conditons... If it relates to safety and or a "live" load then ONCE with not enough truck is one time too many.

You can't justify walking across the highway without looking in either direction by claiming you don't do it very often. If the frequency of use consideration relates to wear on the engine, suspension, brakes, and transmission then it is reasonable to take on this risk knowing that each mile under heavy working conditions (too small of a truck) is equivalent wear wise to many many miles on the above listed component categories and much much more prone to catestrophic component failure.

Remember all the air bags and overload springs in the world won't strengthen your wheel bearings, tires or brakes.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Pickup Trucks? Any suggestions for my situatio

Just posting to return the subject heading back to the original.

It get's confusing when the subject line changes when viewing CBN posts -- it looks like a different thread.

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

I would not spend alot of money buying a new truck unless you plan on hauling them often. I bought an 89 2500 4x4 chevy for about $3000 for my hauling duties. It has a 7000lb tounge pulling weight which is not inflated like the new truck numbers are today.
    Granted I dont think I haul enough stuff to even justify owning a truck right now, but my wife disagrees.
    When I purchased mine I thought i would be hauling all types of stuff.Not really the case, of course yours may be different but most of my neighbors have "older" trucks like for the occasional hauling.

Re: Pickup Trucks? Any suggestions for my situation?

I would look at the 1/2 ton Chevy or GMC HD version, it will easily handle your needs.
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

A half ton will pull a trailer with two horses.

It will not stop it safely.

"I've driven one that way for years and never had a problem!"

You don't need a seat belt until you have an accident, and you don't need adequate braking power until you need it. If you haven't needed it yet, that doesn't mean you won't. And the one time you need it, you NEED it.

Blue Ridge, You didn't mention walking across the street without looking either way for traffic or Russian Roulette. Just because someone has done either and survived doesn't make it a safe practice.

I hear "good ole boys" all the time comenting on this or that practice or activity in which they have engaged for xx years with no ill effect. There is always the first time a smoker is diagnosed with lung cancer. Of course, up tpo then smoking was a safe activity.

Ever hear of the Darwin awards? If there was no threat to public safety, a danger to innocent drivers sharing the roads, I would say to all those who demand to do things that just aren't safe, go ahead, we don't need your genes in the pool anyway.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Yup!