Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pickup Trucks? Any suggestions for my situation?

Re: Pickup Trucks? Any suggestions for my situation?

Not to be a pest but. . .

I wouldn't size it based on the number of times I hauled. Safety is safety. Half ton trucks pull bass boats and popup campers nicely, but put a real load on the back and they are pushing it.

There are a few things you need to look at to make a decision. A 3-horse slant load with tack room and maybe small galley and living space, two horses, and gear and you're pulling a good sized load. Horses are about 1000# each on average. 6,000-7,000 # is a good estimate for a real nice trailer with 2 horses and gear. Now you need to look at:

1. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GWVR) versus curb weight to get the useful payload. Remember that this needs to include weight of fuel, passengers, and junk in the bed. Whatever is left over has to include tongue weight, which should be about 10% of the total weight of the trailer. These numbers will be limited by the vehicle suspension and load rating of the tires.

2. Next look at Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). GCWR is the sum total of your loaded truck, gear, passengers, fuel, and loaded trailer. It is normally limited by the truck's brakes, trailer brakes, and the truck's engine.

3. A 6,000 or 7,000# load on a 1/2 ton pickup will be pushing the limit of the vehicle and will be only marginally safe if safe at all. Is it possible? Sure! Is it safe? Maybe.

4. Diesel engines in general offer two advantages. Low end torque makes them ideal for towing. Additionally, they are 25-40% more efficient than gasoline engines (in terms of miles per gallon). I'll put my 3/4 ton diesel against any 1/2 ton gasser on the market for mileage. Diesel options are a lot more expensive BUT, the efficiency combined with the durability of most diesel engines will make up for the additional cost.

I've got a 3/4 ton 4WD diesel with long bed and a crew cab and love it. It's a behemoth and isn't fun to drive around in the mall parking lot, but around the farm or towing you just can't beat it. You have to tell it that it's towing, otherwise it doesn't know. You have to think of not only your own safety, but the safety of others on the road when you pick the truck for your heavy load. You have to be able to stop the load, maybe quickly at times. You have to be able to start the load without flooring it and ruining your engine. You have to be able to haul over hills without overheating or going so slow that you impede normal traffic.

Get a vehicle that can handle the job.

Lynx,

Not a pest at all. I think we need more info from the original poster.

I threw out my 2 cents "assuming" a couple things.

First, the trailer I was expecting wasn't of the size/capacity you were. (I wasn't thinking galley, living space...). I was thinking more in lines of a 12-16' stock trailer and the trailering would be infrequent. In my mind, the trailer weighs 1500# + 2 horses at 1000# = 3500# total. A full size 1/2 ton (with approx. 7-9K# towing capability) would handle that nicely/safely.

As for diesel vs. gas, personally, I could go either way but I would say a couple factors come to mind. First (and foremost), what are the needs for towing/hauling? Around here, diesel is $.20 higher than gas. Add the price difference of a few grand up front + the .20/gallon for diesel, I personally couldn't justify it for my needs (hauling tractor or whatever on occasion).

Kent

Please tell us more.

What kind/size of trailer are you thinking of getting?
    How often are you going to be hauling?
    Is this a 2nd or 3rd vehicle that will get used occasionally or will it be a primary driving vehicle?
    Where do you plan on storing/garaging the truck?
    What other uses do you plan on using the truck for? Lumber yard...

Brian

Re: Pickup Trucks? Any suggestions for my situatio

<font color="blue"> </font color> </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    isn't fun to drive around in the mall parking lot, but around the farm or towing you just can't beat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't so bad to drive in traffic. Usually you have few hassles.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I just replied to Kents other post on this subject. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Brian,
    I respectfully disagree with the half ton recomendation. Most manufactures recommendations I believe are generous and they assume that the load is static. Horses are not and generally so, at the worst of times. I would recomend a good used 3/4 ton with manual trans if possible.

Of a guy had a "heavy" half with a light aluminum goosneck you might get by with it but.....

Any way, not stiring the pot. Just offering another opinion.
    Mark

Mark,

I just found that other thread.

I think I'll concede but without the answers to the questions I posed, I still think it's "do-able" with a 1/2 ton if the conditions are right (mainly smaller trailer and infrequent hauling). Also need an idea of where he lives as hills may be a factor. I've towed 7000# with my 1/2 ton and it did fine but my hauling is infrequent.

Brian

Hi Brian,
    You have a very valid point and I could see folks using a half ton, long wheel base, bigger engine, truck if they were pulling 1-2 light horses and had an aluminum trailer. Especially, as you say, if they are pulling on the flats.

The other thing that factors into this is experience. I guess its like driving in the snow. Just 'cause a person has driven through an inch of dry light powder does not mean they know how to drive in slush, freezing rain, ice, etc.

And.....I admit we tend to manage the well being of the animals entrusted to our care pretty aggressively. But thats just us.

Mark

You're certainly right, Brian. A properly equipped half ton pickup, with a competent driver, can safely pull over 9,000 pounds. Ford's own ratings for the F-150 go to 9,500# for the Super and Crewcabs and 9,900# for the standard cab. I think the other full size brands have similar ratings. Naturally, if I were going to be towing that much on a regular basis, I'd prefer a 3/4 or one ton, but for occasional use, I wouldn't hesitate to use a half ton truck at all. Even the Ranger can be equipped to tow 5,980#.

The original poster mentioned this was a 'ranch use' truck, not a daily driver. In that case I would recomend a used long bed double cab diesel 3/4 or 1 ton. That way you have good bed size to haul stuff, good seating area to get everybody to the horse show/trail ride/campground or whatever, and good towing capacity bumper pull or gooseneck. Once you get out to the country its amazing how many times you end up pulling a trailer around with a tractor on it, or some hay on it, or a stock trailer with cattle and/or horses etc.

We bought a 3/4 ton dodge diesel double cab pickup ( short bed though since this is more of a mom mobile for now ) and we use the heck out of it around our place.

3/4 trucks and bigger come with bigger brakes, heavier duty suspension, etc.

twstanley,

The mention of a "ranch truck" happened in the other thread. I didn't see that until this morning when I conceded and agree with your proposed truck.

If it was going to be a primary vehicle with occasional hauling of horses (or other similar weights using a small stock trailer), I still think the 1/2 ton may be an option.

I already mentioned the pricing difference for initial purchase and fuel but when a 3/4 or 1 ton needs service, you're generally going to lighten your wallet moreso than a 1/2 ton.

Brian

Oh, I agree with you, Tim, and of course I know nothing of the original poster's financial situation. So whether you want the "ideal" rig or the most affordable is sometimes a major consideration. Several years ago, I needed a pickup to occasionally haul something, occasionally pull a little trailer, etc. and would have bought an old half ton pickup if I'd found one that I thought was reliable and cheap; I didn't. What I did find was an old 1981 F250 with a 351 engine that served the purpose quite well. However, the rancher neighbor I spent so much time with had a half ton 1988 Chevy standard cab, 350 engine, automatic transmission, and we occasionally hauled a half dozen cows at a time to auction, occasionally pulled two hay wagons at a time (5 round bales - 5' x 5' on each), etc. and never had a problem with the old truck even though it had well over 100k miles on it. Of course we didn't go very fast, or need to, when we were towing with it.