Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hauling horses around

Hauling horses around

We're moving to the country and we would like opinions on what kind of truck we should get. It won't be our family vehicle, more like a workhorse for hauling hay, horses etc.

I know we will need a 4x4 pickup truck. I don't want an extended cab because I'll need a full standard size bed. Can a Toyota Tacoma haul a horse trailer and two horses?

Should I get a 5000 lbs tow capacity or more?

Please share your experience.

Thank you much! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Hauling horses around

There is no doubt that you can equip a Tacoma to pull 5k pounds, but personally, I'd go with a full size pickup, whether Toyota Tundra, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. Three-quarter ton is even better, but all the larger V-8 powered half ton trucks can pull upwards of 8,000 pounds.

See my response in the vehicles section.

First you need to decide what kind of horse trailer you are going to buy and how much it weighs. Next how big are your horses. Where are you going to haul your tack feed cooler and other stuff. I would not think of a truck that was not at least an extended cab. I have two trucks A GMC 1500 4x4 with 4.8 V8 It is rated to haual 7000lbs. It will but not very happily. I regularly haul two horses. It struggles to run the legal speed limit on I-10 It will not pull 4th gear with horses and trailer. I also have an Avalanch 4x4 with the 5.3 V8 it is rated for the same 7000lb it pulls a little better but is not great. You are going to need more truck than you think. If this is not a daily driver as you stated I would consider a used 3/4 over a new 1/2 ton. You will be a lot happier.

I think the others are on track with this. Determine what your needs are and then the solution is easy to determine.

There are 2 separate schools of thought with horses/trailers/trucks. What can I get by with and what would be safe. Admittedly, I am in the “what is the safest” school.

We haul 2 horses at least twice a week for 100 mile round trip year round and then on longer runs from CA to AZ, NV, TX, OK. I can say that I would never haul with anything less than a ¾ ton diesel unless those 2 horses are mini’s.

“Most” of the time a half ton will work but it’s never the “Most” of the time situations that get you in trouble. It usually starts small….like fly bites one horse belly so he is kicking and biting to get rid of it. The horse next to him acts up and starts to scramble in the trailer. How is all that commotion going to treat you when you are running down hill around a corner in a lighter framed and lighter braked rig while trying to stop?

If your trailer is an aluminum gooseneck you might get by with a lighter truck but with a bumper pull you will find the trailer, even with good brakes, will push the truck.

I would agree with Jim. Look around for a good quality 4x4 diesel ¾ ton from Ford, Dodge, or GM. You will be much happier in the long run.

Personally I think you can find a good deal on a nice used Dodge ¾ 4x4 with manual 5spd for a pretty good price. And remember, if you take care of the engine 100k miles is not even half way through the engines expected life. I don’t say this to offend any Japanese truck owners. Its just that they don’t choose to built/import a rig that will haul heavy loads yet.

Most people focus on how much you can pull.

How about how much you can STOP? Most trucks out there are woefully underbraked for the loads they pull.

Yes, absolutely figure out how much you intend to pull - that's got to be the first step. But then go looking for a truck that is rated to STOP that load.

And don't make the mistake that a friend of my father's did. He got the smaller engine thinking he'd save gas. Wrong. It was underpowered so he was always having to push the engine to its limit. He did NOT get better mileage, and it didn't last long, either.

I think the 2nd sentence in U'r 1st paragraph is the zinger! A work horse so I'd go with at least a 3/4 ton extended cab! As was mentioned, hauling & braking(stopping) needs to be in consideration and if U got a 100 or so bales of hay and start to stop, Oh well! Anyway a 2 horse outfit with trailering and hauling hay and feed, I just don't think U'r gonna be satisfied unless YOU start out with at least that! Brands(ford, dodge, etc) don't matter much but I'd stick with a diesel. . .

We haul 2-4 horses for trail rides every weekend. We used to have a bumper pull trailer but recently picked up a gooseneck and it is amazing. We feed our horses round bails that are stored inside a barn and can fit 2 in the back of my F250. I opted to get the crew cab because everyone in the family rides and didn't want to have to take 2 vehicles.

Steve

kentwiles, Oregon huh? Mountains... YOU NEED a diesel with a good exhaust brake. Diesels have zero compressive braking, i.e. no "back drag" when you take yoiur foot off the accelerator. A loaded diesel on a decent downgrade with turns is a recipe for disaster. In addition to the good exhaust brake you want all wheels on the trailer to have good brakes and you want a good brrake controller. The difference of 20-40 bucks on the controller can make a night and day difference in performance. Anyone who suggests a 1/2 ton truck for your needs is just not doing you a favor... PERIOD!

Don't be afraid to get an automatic. You may want to add a tranny cooler but automatics are used an aful lot in heavy duty towing operations and work real fine. They are much better that a stick for less experienced operators. Driving with a load on is way different from empty but an auto makes it pretty simple.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat is dead-on with this one, nothing less than a 3/4 ton. I had the pleasure of owning a Tacoma 4wd, it was a great truck but there is no way that I would pull anything more that a lawnmower or ATV with it. I now have a 01 Chevy K2500 HD, it will pull anything that I could throw at it. Also, I can't speak for Dodge or Ford, but Chevy and GMC offers the tranny cooler as standard equipment on automatic models as well as a tow-mode that runs to a higher RPM before shifting gears.
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"