Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hauling horses around

Re: Hauling horses around

Michael, For most "normal" towing the tranny cooler (in the radiator on my 1 ton Dodge/Cummins 4x4 or is a dually a 6x6? with automagic tranny) is fine but for really rugged service an added heat exchanger (tranny fluid to air with thermostatic controlled fan is a good idea.) It will extend the life of the tranny and the fluid. A linear increase in tranny temp gives an exponential decrease in fluid and tranny life once you get beyond normal operating temps. It is hard to OVERCOOL your tranny and using a thermostatic controlled fan on the cooler is a good idea.

It can help a lot in more extreme situations like hot weather, heavy loads, hills, etc and will cause no harm even if it is not needed. I think it is a win win way to go. If you never tow more than several hundred pounds and don't ATTACK steep grades and stay away from full throttle climbing hills (opting for lower gears and lower speeds) then you probably will not gain much from an additional tranny cooler. If you really GO FOR IT then I recommend an additional tranny cooler. If you don't put on many towing miles and trade your trucks in at really low miles then you probably don't want another tranny cooler. I'm driving a '97 Dodge/Cummins that is just getting well broken in.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

How much you can pull is only 1/2 the problem. How much can you STOP. Most people try to get by with as little truck as they can and will regret it later. It you plan to travel any distance don't shortcut the truck. You want to be able to tow the trailer and do it without a struggle. That make it easy and comfortable for the driver. If you go gooseneck I would go for the 3/4 Ton (I.E. Ford F250) A diesel pulls great on long trips. If you are only doing local pulls to the horse shows or trails (5-10 Mile) you may be able to get by with a 1/2 Ton (I.E. Ford F150) With a 1/2 Ton I would stay with a bumper pull type trailer. Make sure you get the right hitch and always use a brake controler. Stopping is more important than going.

I would rather have an older 3/4 Ton than a brand new F150 when it comes to towing. I have hundreds of thousands of towing miles under my belt and I can tell you that I hated every mile I towed something with too small of a truck.

Good Luck,
    Hunt, Fish & Play to avoid WORK [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pat,
    That is why my HD is a standard shift.
    You ARE a redneck if... you knew someone whose last words were "Hey y'all, watch this!"

In many situations in the hands (feet?) of a skilled operator, a good manual tranny with a decent clutch is a superior solution, more robust, less inclined to break, and way cheaper to repair if ever needed. There are exceptions. There are off road situations and special circumstances (long steep slipery boat ramps) where the best manual driver is outperformed by a moderately skilled driver with an automagic tranny.

Starting up from a dead stop with a heavy load on a steep hill is not easy for a manual driver or on a clutch but toss in so-so traction and the automagic tranny usually wins. Still, on ballance, with a skilled driver a manual works fine and provides circulation enhancing lower extremety exercise, especially with a narrow range diesel which requires lots of shifting.

The "big rigs" are going AUTOMATIC... and claim equal or better mileage and maint costs. I wonder if it is also a statement about the current crop of drivers but should keep that snide remark to myself. OOPS!!!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The "big rigs" are going AUTOMATIC... and claim equal or better mileage and maint costs. I wonder if it is also a statement about the current crop of drivers but should keep that snide remark to myself. OOPS!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, at my age, a lot of my information and knowledge is dated, but I can remember when the tow ratings for pickups were higher with manual transmissions, then later went higher for automatics. When I started in law enforcement in 1964, the City had nothing but manual transmissions. We got our first automatic transmission police sedans in 1969. And eventually, but gradually, the City started changing to automatic transmissions in just about everything, even the packers on garbage trucks. Instead of a PTO off the transmission, they used hydraulic pumps run off "fan" belts. And the main reason for the change to automatics was lower maintenance costs. I think it's always cost more to have an automatic transmission repaired than to have a manual transmission repaired, but one of the city mechanics told me it's actually easier to repair the automatics if you know what you're doing.

Bird, I guess that just about kicks the last prop out from under the SUPERIOR MANUAL TRANNY myth. Of course some makers hitch a puny auto tranny to Cummins torque monster and the result can be a disaster in need of after market assistance. The original auto tranny in my Dodge/Cummins freewheeled in 4th gear which made the use of an exhaust brake useless until after market equipment was installed.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You mean someone is going to miss the arm through the wheel, both hands on shift levers and double cluching thingy???

Egon

You know, just because Grandpa and good old Dad ALWAYS HAD ONE doesn't mean it was the best way...

Sorry Grandpa and Dad ~ they have come up with better stuff

Hunt, Fish & Play to avoid WORK [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The original auto tranny in my Dodge/Cummins freewheeled in 4th gear

[/ QUOTE ]

Pat, there are so many different transmissions, even among the same manufacturers that I haven't kept up to date with them at all. When my brother had the Matco Tool distributorship, he had a GMC Topkick with Cat diesel (200hp I think) and an Allison transmission. He never had a problem with the transmission, but I didn't like it because it was one of those that free wheeled when you let off the accelerator. The engine and tach dropped back to an idle and you just kept rolling except for the brakes. When he got out of that business the guy who replaced him on that route got a Freightliner with a 300hp Cat and an Allison automatic. I drove his route for him for a week while he took a vacation and that Freightliner was a pleasure to drive, and when you let off the accelerator it felt much like the engine braking you'd expect with a gasoline powered vehicle and as it slowed down, you'd feel it downshifting before you stopped.

Egon, I once won a small bet by being able to start the engine, drive a distance using all forward gears, and then stop a pickup without ever touching the clutch. It was lightly loaded and I got 'er done. Not good practice for day to day operations but I can shift without a clutch, much less needing to double clutch, which I can.

I can heel and toe as well.