Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delta Continuously variable speed drill press

Delta Continuously variable speed drill press

A while back I mentioned that I had a problem with a Delta DP350 continuously variable speed drill press. Well after the Porter-Cable/Delta merger they finally got their wherehouse shipping again...then after a back order of parts to them they shipped me out my free fixit kit. The parts were shipped to me free by second day UPS. Mind you I called them and gave then the model and serial and nothing else. We had not registered the unit for its warranty.

I got a new variable pulley for the motor shaft, a new power transmission belt, new keeper, new spring, new spring cap...all for free. Actually they sent me two springs but only one can be used. I did have to recycle a couple set screws.

I called their 800 number for assistance since the manual doesn't tell you how to change the V belt and it was trapped behind some complicated speed control cam stuff. They told me to mark a nut, remove it, swap belts, and put the nut back were it had been. As I had already removed the nut that info was a tad time late. The help guy looked up the engineering speck and told me 1.25 inches from end of shaft to where the nut touches the pulley and that was easy to do with my dial calipers.

Unit functions really well and I was using it today.

I give a big THUMBS UP to porter-Cable/Delta for their customer care service. This is my wife's drill press (I simply must show her how to use it someday...) Here drill press is much easier to use than mine (HF) when it comes to shanging speeds. Hers requires just a twist of a knob to vary the effective "gear ratio" between the motpor shaft and quill. The traditional Harbor Freight unit is 16 fixed speeds adjusted with two belt changes on three pulleys. The Delta has a nice goose neck lamp that can be positioned as needed according to what you are doing. The HF unit has a fixed lamp position (not a realy good one either.) The Delta is a bench top unit but I have mounted it to its own stand and it is slightly higher up than the HF unit (good for my height, 6'2")

The drilling depth adjustable stop is much easier to use and adjust than on the HF unit. The stop on the HF works fine but isn't so convenient or easy to use as the Delta unit.

The Delta chuck key is a bit "funny" as it has a little spring loaded pin that sticks out of the pin that plugs into the three holes of the chuck. You have to push in against that spring and then turn the chuck key. I have absolutely no earthly idea what that "feature" is supposed to do better than the simple keys we are all used to using.

You are supposed to take out the 6 screws that hold the top cover to access the two shafts so you can oil them a few drops in each. This is the weekly maintenance. I think I will drill a couple holes in the top cover and install small tubes directlly over the hollow shafts. small covers on the tubes will exclude debris and the weekly oiling will not neccessitate removing and replacing 6 screws (two of which are inexplicably sheet metal screws rather than machine screws like the other four.)

Given what I have seen in the market place and the associated prices/quality, I have no problem advocating this unit as a good medium duty drill press.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Delta Continuously variable speed drill press

Sounds like you have a nice drill press. The "springy" chuck key is to prevent leaving the key in the drill chuck and flinging it across the shop when you turn on the drill press. Basically the lawyers are helping out by keeping us off our hands and knees looking for lost chuck keys under the work bench.
    Sim

<font color="blue"> </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    looking for lost chuck keys under the work bench.

[/ QUOTE ] </font color>

OR in somebody's eye! [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pat, good to hear good things after the merger. I was a bit worried about it...

Did you ever see the poster of the OSHA approved cowboy? The horse was draging a pooper scooper, the saddle had a roll bar, there were turn signals, and on and on and on...

I thought the spring thing was yet another "SAFETY" thing. Now when you buy a tool from HF you get a 10 page manual with 8 pages of warnings about wearing safety glasses and such.

People tend to judge the world from their own mindset. Apparently, judging fron the product liability stuff, many lawyers would have trouble pouring pee out of a boot unless the instructions were written on the heel. I can recall a tube of model airplane glue with compliant instructions on it including "NOT FOR INTERNAL USE" but the manufacturer went a step further and added the comment, "and we don't know why anyone would."

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat:

out of a boot

Now just to fill the boot may involve a whole new concept as well as were the boot is upended!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Now Pat,.......they are just trying to help you stay healthy and undamaged by preventing a few of those those little shop "insults" that we all know about, like "Bridgeport Finger".....YEOW! #*#@//!!!.....for example. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

OK, DAve... I'll bite... What is Bridgeport finger?

I know about Garand finger (admisisterd by an M1 Garand bolt) although I have avoided it so far.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] "Bridgeport Finger" is actually quite similar to "Grand Thumb". When you get either one, your learning curve gets understandably steeper all of a sudden. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Bridgeport finger occurs when you use a 3/4" combination box-open end wrench to tighten the collet in a Bridgeport Milling machine. Then you forget to take the wrench off the collet stem nut. Then when you reach up and flip the switch to start the Bridgeport, the wrench swings in an arc and smacks your finger and pins it against the switch. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, I think I would rather take my chances with the Garand rifle. Better the devil you know...

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You're supposed to hold on to the bolt hook! I no longer own a Garand, but I do have a Ruger Mini 14. As it has a detachable magazine it's not an issue.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?