Thread: nothin' fancy

nothin\' fancy

With all these pics of food lately, I made the effort to shoot a couple of my own.
    Nothing fancy, just some smoked and BBQd St. Louis cut ribs, (psst, don't tell Egon I didn't use actual wood chips [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), some corn done out of the husks and basted with butter, garlic salt and ground pepper (I can't wait until corn comes into season around here, but nonetheless, it was corn on the cob), and a Vidalia onion. I never did an onion this way before, but that's how a friend said to try it. I just stuck it in some foil with 1/2 stick of butter and some salt added. Real mushy and good.

Total cook time... about three hours. 2-1/2 hours "smoking" for the ribs and 1/2 hour over medium heat and putting the sauce on. 1-1/2 for the onion, very close to the flame and over the hot side of the grill and about 1/2 hour at the end for the corn, done next to the ribs.

'Tis the season, but really I grill out all year long.

Re: nothin\' fancy

Ooops, I didn't mean that.... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">( I never did an onion this way before, but that's how a friend said to try it. I just stuck it in some foil with 1/2 stick of butter and some salt added. Real mushy and good )</font color>

A friend of mine told me about cooking Vidalia onions that same way -- he however suggested putting a boulion cube in the center of the onion -- it gets absorbed throughout the onion. Nice flavor.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

That looked might good!

An old work buddy used to do onions on the grill. His trick was to toss a whole large red onion right next to the coals. It would burn a couple layers. When everything was done, he'd take the onion, quarter it, and peel away the charred part. Then break it up, and squeeze a lemon over it.

I had it once when he did it, and have done it since. It is soooooo good!

I've done them in the oven before where I just cut the stem off, left the skin on and baked them for 45 minutes at about 400F. The skin does give them a nice flavor and it did seem like this one was missing something.

I was thinking a little soy sauce next time, but a beef bullion cube sounds like a winner, Dave.

Nice picture's, I'll have to try cooking an onion that way. Thanks for the tips.

No picture but I tried a new method,for me, on an acorn squash the other day. sssh - I used the oven.

Cut of the top just like for a jacko lantern, clean out the seeds, filled cavity with onion,garlic,sweet pepper and mushrooms, brown sugar plus a little olive oil and water. Replaced top and placed it in a pan and in the oven which was set about 300 degreeF. Left it for three hours or so. It was palatable.

Surely like to do some ribs. Just looking at that plate made me hungry.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Looking at the plate makes me feel sad. I didn't get the chance to make it look that way. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

I've been making so many plates look that way this year, alternating between ribs, beer can chicken and steaks, that I am thinking about upgrading my grill and going to natural gas. I keep an extra propane tank on hand and the refill station is only a couple minutes away, but it's still a pain in the butt getting them refilled so often. The long indirect cooking time of the ribs and chickens sure puts a toll on the tanks.