Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2 Booster Pumps, Same Mainline

Re: 2 Booster Pumps, Same Mainline

Probably more like 1/2 - 3/4 mile.

My well guy is the one who has taken care of this parcel since after Moses. The setup was built way before Moses.

My well guy doesn't jump for joy with the setup either, but both of us admit that I get about 12 gpm at the 2500 gal tank inlet. So we count our blessings.

The alternative of messing with old PVC laid along old country roads isn't pleasing. That line goes under a wash and under a small junkyard. With mean dogs guarding over it. Then we would have to deal with angry neighbors who never forgave you for that time in 2002 when you accidentally let their dog out.

Etc.

That well extension line up to the new 5000 gal tank goes down hill and then up hill, with no more than a 20-50' net gain in elevation. My wife just called to tell me that water is making it over to the new tank. Probably less than 12 gpm, right?

I don't know what the pressure loss is anywhere on my farm. We don't have much demand for personal usage - irrigation is another matter.

There are 2 tenants and ourselves out there from time to time. So maybe 6 people at the most. If all of the sprinklers are on and everyone is taking a bath in their 60 gallon soaking tubs, I notice a drop in pressure. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Seriously, it is a small system and we will notice pressure changes as folks do things with outside hoses etc.

My wife is testing out the long pressurized line - now only on the one old booster pump. (That one which is fed by the 2500 gallon tank.) It is indeed feeding some pretty long lines now. So I'm anxious to hear about what's going on there.

Using water that comes from the ground has a bit of miracle about it.

Martin

To my knowledge there are no more places cutting ice for storage.

My railroad experience was in the mid 60's and used on the passenger train dining cars. The cabooses still had coal fired stoves in them then.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    My railroad experience was in the mid 60's and used on the passenger train dining cars. The cabooses still had coal fired stoves in them then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the railroads were going downhill then up there, as they were here. Until March '64 when I joined the police department, I was working registered mail at the post office and used to take it out to the RPO car (railroad post office) on all the passenger trains going through Dallas. A lot of the really valuable mail had to be transferred from one individual to another, and signed for each time. Although we usually never knew exactly what was in a sack or package, there were codes for different value amounts. I remember once taking new, freshly printed cash off a train once that was going to the Federal Reserve Bank; don't know the exact amount, but the codes indicated a minimum of $8 million. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] But by '64, the passenger cars were getting in bad shape and carried very few passengers.

Of course my grandfather hauled the mail between the post office and the train station in Ardmore, OK, from 1943 until trains no longer carried mail, so when I was a kid I used to ride with him when the trains were still steam engines.

Ah yes, note the approximation to a spherical shape (nearly a hemisphere) a cylinder capped with a domed roof. This maximizes the ice storage capacity volume while minimizing the surface area of the structure's shell which reduces the penetration of heat (reduces the cost of the structure also for a given enclosed volume.)

It was a good deed indeed that this fine example of the way things were was retained.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Don't forget about the hollow walls, Pat, yet another heat-transfer preventer. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] What an interesting side note that was! We'll have to go see it in person someday. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] SLO.......you can now see the wisdom of my "alternate design" where I had the source pumps just chucking along day and night at their own pace and gradually filling the "ranch reservoir". My design virtually eliminates the friction loss considerations, water hammer, and differential pressure due to variations in line velocity. The "ranch reservoir" concept allows for tremendous instantaneous useage and eliminates squabbling between tenants. It removes storage tanks from remote locations where they attract bullets and have other maintenance issues. The best part is that you are already set up to do this, just add the radio-controlled on-off float switch and the "ranch reservoir" with it's attendant booster pump. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I actually wish I was there to do all this stuff for you; it's been so long.......... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I have a built-in propensity to move water. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Had a customer who needed a household water supply and the only water was a spring that was a half-mile away and 600 feet lower than his house. I got him a 10,000 gallon atmospheric storage tank and we set it 100 feet higher than his house. That made it 700 feet higher than the spring. Then we used a three-piston positive-displacement pump to "jack" the water up the hill. A tricky radio control signaled the pump when the tank float called for water. The tank had dual outlets, one was three feet off the bottom. The upper outlet was the "duty" source and the bottom outlet was emergency. That way it let him know if the source had failed when he still had 3,000 gallons of water left. Luckily, the spring was close to the main road and when they ran power into his new house they installed a drop to power the spring water pump. We got some plans from Soil Conservation Service that showed how to "box" the spring. The setup has been in constant use since 1985. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

web page

CJ - want to move water try one of these. They even gave me a tour of their LA assembly site!

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave, I designed and helped build a microwave spectrum analysis system that I mounted in a "Helicopt Hut" (environmental enclosure) designed to be helicopter lifted or fit into bed of deuce and a half truck. I added significant rigid foam insulation to the roof and mounted a Coleman RV A/C on top to cool the equipment and incidently the 3 operators. This unit drove around the HUGE wargaming playing area and performed various tasks including ensuring there was no interference in certain frequency bands of interest to Goldstone Deep Space Tracking Station which was nearby.

When I was designing it I asked about including an RV type potable water system but was reminded that it wasn't in the specs. The Army didn't ask for it and we weren't giving them one for free. So there you have it. Three guys in a metal box out in the desert. Half of the metal box contained a 12 1/2 KW Onan diesel genset. The other half (crew compartment) was 1/2 rack mounted electronics and computer stuff. I did give them an automatic or manual overide Halon system. I suppose they brought a thermos of coffee in winter and a canteen in summer. Don't think the canteens had check valves. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Maybe I drew or explained the setup wrong.

I have one 'source' well. It is 1/2 to 1 mile from the 'ranch'.

There is one 2500 gallon water tank with a float valve that controls the source line. A second 5000 gallon water tank is in the works.

Right next to the well pump is a booster pump and a bladder pressure tank. When the source line pressure is reduced via demand (eg, the float valve opens on the water tank) then well pump and booster pump start.

There is a draw line coming out of the 2500 gallon tank, going to another booster pump/bladder tank. A second 5000 gallon tank will have the same setup. On the output side of these pumps/bladder tanks is my pressurized domestic water for the farm.

I THINK this is the same setup that you recommend except for the radio controlled gizmo, which controls well on/off functions.

Martin