Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A different idea for a shop

A different idea for a shop

I've been thinking about building a shop, 30x40x14

I was thinking about forming and pouring a 6" to 12" high wall around the parimeter (to compinsate for drop in grade) and then filling in compacting and then pouring the floor. Then building the walls on 4' center like you would a house using 2x6x14's

The advantage to this will be...

1, I would have to worry about trucking in fill to level the whole area.
    2, cost would not be any more than using 6x6 on 8' centers
    3, on 4' centers, this will allow me to use 8' sheet of plywood for interior
    4, For all practicle senses, I could build the walls by myself... infact do most all of it alone

What do you think ?

Re: A different idea for a shop

Go for it. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Where did the 14' come from? Is that a standard stud length or something? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Also.......are the roof trusses on 4' spacing as well? [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave... Dave... Dave.... We've chated/responded for a long time and you still forget what I do... [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

14' high walls will allow me to have 13' 6" high door opening... I need at least 13' to be able to drive my Western Star truck... Canadian built Semi [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I don't know about the roof trusses. The shop across the street is a 40x40 and the trusses is on 10' center. They used 2x4 on edge for strength.
    I'm not crazy about that. I might go 4' centers with 1x4's for the roof.

[img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Er.....ah... [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ...er It's all coming clear to me now.. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Truck=high clearance=14' walls. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You aren't one of those "pre-selectors" are you? [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    CJDave

You aren't one of those "pre-selectors" are you?

Aaaaa.... I'm having a blonde moment here, what are you asking ??? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Truck mechanics who work on air-shifted transmissions like the Fuller 13-Speeds have always been able to tell who "pre-selects" and who doesn't by how badly worn the shifter forks are. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Pre-selectors actuate the air shift before they actually pick up on the throttle so the transmission will shift faster when they finally do pick up their foot. Of course that exerts tremendous pressure on the shifter fork when it is pushing-pushing-pushing on that collar and there is too much gear tooth pressure to allow it to move. When I had the machine shop we had mechanics bring in shifter forks to have them built back up to full size and there was always a lot of attendant cussing about that so-and-so driver who PRE-SELECTS...@##//!!# [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I always think about that when I am driving my pickup which has a forest of levers on the floor and I don't put pressure on the shifter forks until they are ready to be moved. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Aaaaaah....

Nope, I have to pay for the repair bills and I just don't have 4 grand to over haul a tranny every couple years. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You don't take a truck this caliber My Truck Pic and trash it.. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Naw, I need a place to work on the ole girl that doesn't involve working on gravel... Ever loose a washer or try to scoot around on a creeper in gravel [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Handy; REALLL nice. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] You sure don't want to half%@# that. What do you have in it? You must be very sure of adding that filtered oil in that. Man, I've reservations just putting it in my Stroker! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

Just looking at that rig I suspect that he has a 165 Cummins in there. Naturally aspirated of course. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave