Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A different idea for a shop

Re: A different idea for a shop

Dave; I'm not gonna offer a bet on that. When you stick that much money in a truck, you may as well go for two house payments! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I bet it's at least a 365, but Handy ain't talking. Oh well, it is a nice day outside. Wonder if he's making money today? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] When I was just learning to drive trucks in da early-early sixties at 17-18 years of age, we had one diesel with a 165 Cummins in it. We thought that truck was THEE ULTIMATE DEVELOPMENT in land transportation. We had some real high cube gassers as well, ...GMC 503's and 426's.....and in those days you went up long grades in first-under-under, and the heat in the cab was so bad that you set the hand throttle and then stood outside on the running board and drove the truck by reaching through the LH window. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'm not kidding. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] They also did a lot of pushing too, when a slower truck was in front and there was no hope of passing on single lane hiway grades. We had a GMC 6-71 with a set of 24' doubles and one time my Dad's hired driver stuck it on a steep grade when he missed a downshift. We took another tractor we had and chained them up together and JUST DID get that load moving again. When both drivers dumped the clutch there was like silence for a second before the black smoke began to pour out. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The first time I drove a Kenworth with a Silver 92 in it....8V92 w/ twin turbos feeding the blower....I could not BELIEVE that a truck could have that much power. You barely ever needed to shift that 13 Speed. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave; Oh yeah, the goode olde days. I used to haul a 580B TLB on a 69 IHC Loadstar, a gasser at that. It had a rollerback bed and winch setup. Youd winch the machine up on the bed until you got thr rear wheels on then tilt the bed down. Youd lift the front wheels right off the ground. I hated that truck. Then there was the converted OTR GMC, that had a huge 318 jimmy. It was converted to a tandem dump. With a triaxle lowboy with the 580 on board, and a load of gravel, it made for an interesting ride. I do like the newer IHC 4000's though. A friend of mine hauls heavy equipment for a living, you should see his truck. 9200 IHC Eagle with double standup sleeper, with a C-15 Cat. He drags loads that even make that thing work.
    Kenworth, ahhh, my dream machine. W900 with a C-15. Hey, if you dream, dream big huh?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I had a '68 IH 2050 with the RD 450 in it (gas) and it was really a nice truck. I had a big water well workover rig on it. I also had a '69 2050 with the V8 gas 400-something cube engine....I didn't care for that V8 engine. Also had a 74 IH 1600 under a service truck body, Gas, on air, a nice service truck. I am still sitting on a CDL; you just never know when you might have to hop in and drive...... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Oh, look out guys... LOL

165... 365 [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Boys, times have changed BIG time [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Try a 525 N14 Plus Select putting 465 hp to the ground
    13spd tranny with 3.42 Rockwell Rears.
    Top end is somewhere around 127 mph [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

You have trucks out there with 550 cats and 600 Cummins [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Haven't you noticed that trucks aren't going 35 mph up hill ?
    Those guys are not always empty most of the time [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I've also observed that if you are not travelling at least 70 MPH all you see is a great big grill in your back window. And it really doesn't matter what the road - snow - ice - sleet - fog conditions are! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Yes Egon I know... [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I don't like it either, I won't make excusses for those idiots. All I can say, is for myself, I don't like running up on someone and I have many trucker friends that feel the same way as myself.

The biggest thing I've noticed the past couple years is a person will be in the left lane or center lane talking on the cell phone totally oblivious of the traffic behind them.

A lot of states are adopting laws restricting trucks to the right 2 lanes (unsafe in my opinon), which makes the center lane our left lane... now you have a bozo in the center lane running 5 mph under the speed limit without a care in the world. Many of us try to follow the laws, but when faced with an idiot with a cell phone being a road hazard... well lets say it becomes very fustrating, especially when some have such a tight delivery scheduel. ( everyone wants their product yesterday )

I haul equipment and oversized loads... not only do I have to deal with the general public totally oblivious on how to drive aound me, but I have to deal with the idiot truckers that should know better but don't.

On a good note, Trucking as a whole, we are at our safest... accidents per million miles driven as we ever have been.
    Also out of all the accident there are... only 3% are caused by truckers ! This is based on statical fact [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Unfortunantly when we are involved in an accident... its usually devistating... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I often ask people... Would you cut over in front of a locamotive ? Of course they say NO .. of course not... I usually ask them why would they cut off or crowd a truck when their chance of survival is just as poor ....
    Usually that ends the conversation.

Anyhow... My idea for a shop is on track..? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now handyman, YOU said a different idea for a shop! Hum, interesting concept! Wonder if it meets codes, cause I'd like to look at that too, BUT I'd like to consider a 3 car garage with a loft!

Handy; I agree completely on the fools and cell phones. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The ones that are a real treat are the ones that like to go around you on the suicide and cut you off, or hang by the right trailer corners. I, myself, as well as you could share many stories of stupidity, I'm sure. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway, your barn. I see no reason why you couldn't do what your talking, just make sure your trusses are on 4' centers too, and run purlins across the top chord. I don't know if you have codes where you are, but it should be run past the building dept. if you have one. With the nice 14' tall walls, your going to have quite a bit of lateral loading from wind. I assume your going to use OSB sheathing on the walls? If so, you'll gain alot of lateral support from using that.

Hope I didn't confuse you, sometimes I'm good at that! Feel free to PM me or ask more questions, I do try to help. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Keep the shiny side up man!! [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Most Truckers are extremely curtious and treat others with respect.

Unfortunetly they have timelines, log books, and delivery dates in conjunction with low hauling rates which all combine for a tough haul for the truckers.

My biggest problem is the lack of driving skill and road knowledge which results in holding the truckers up or not allowing them the speed with which they want to approach a hill. I pull over whenever possible and do speed up when possible.

On one Cross Canada trip pulling a 15K bumper pull trailer with a 96 dodge diesel with a camper on it [ gross 24K ] I spent some evening truck stop time talking to one of the fellows with whom I'd been playing leapfrog all day. He indicated I'd not done too badly and did note I was way overloaded.

Egon